FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:46:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1959 FC Ute!!  (Read 103143 times)
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »

Hello all,

Thought i would put together a little update to try and keep this page up to date. Have managed to finish off a few things as well as get one of my dads mechanics on getting the diff and front end back together with goal being getting the thing off the rotisserie soon and start some mocking up of the panels and engine before getting stuck into the body work.

Finished up all the rust in the floors and put the divide back in. Since then I have finished grinding down most of the welds and cleaning up some jobs that looked a little messy and hopefully will ahve time next weekend to prime/rust proof and paint the floor for good.

Got the doors and bonnet back from Mick across the road, Has does an incredible job on them especially the bonnet that under a mountain of bog was a very nasty and rusted out ding. Have past him the guards to do next that will need a bit of attention.

Next on the list was the Diff and the font end. Got them painted and Eric one of my dads mechanics seamed to enjoy working on a "Real car" as he put it.

So that's about it for now. Hopefully next update in a few weeks will be a big one getting it off the rotisserie and back on its own weight.

Until next time Smiley

FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »

Mark

Progressing along well.
Keep the posts coming.
Cheers
Craig D
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »

Never tire of seeing good restos keep posting. I'm just wondering if anyone with a ute has recessed their seatbelt retractors behind that divider your putting back in . One of my mates put his aircon., in there and I have put them there in my van , and in Waynes ute we really noted the space as the retractors restrict the seat sliding back. Cheers.

smitty

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:58 PM »

Got a bit done over the weekend, got the front end buttoned up with the discs and brake lines all run. Also got around to putting the first coat of rust guard on the underside of the floor. Will put a second coat on this coming weekend then put a black top coat over that.

Considering the amount of fresh metal and work that's been done on the floor I am kinda surprised at how well its come up. Unless your on top of it you could hardly tell anything has been done in some spots.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »

Mark,
A serious & thorough effort.
Good to follow your progress.

Dave
0417 270 315
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »

Wow good work mate

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »

Huge difference considering what you started with Smitty.
   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »

Looking good, we love the updates.  ;)That is an interesting seatbelt mod HSV.
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »

Hi Smitty your ute is looking fantastic I,ve picked up a ute recently and my wife has nicknamed it Rusty as it basically has no floor even in the tray area I am hoping I can get it looking as good as your.
great work must be satisfying to see it getting closer keep up the great work and the posts coming.
regards
Neil H
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

Time for another update.

Have been planning the Australia long weekend for a while to get the subframe test fitted, bottom of the A Pillar finished up and final prep on the underside of the floor before sending the body and the subframe to get painted.

Was a little nervous about getting the subframe back on after being off for so long and a test of my measuring skills with the replaced A pillar attachment points. Thankfully it all went together perfectly and without to much hassle  Shocked!

Anyway photos below and let me know what you think.

Took the rotisserie off and put it up on the hoist, made it easy to just roll the subframe up to it.

The side we replaced completed fitted perfectly much to my surprise.

Started work on covering in both the bottom A pillar attachment joints.

A bit of a grind and a paint later and they came out fairly well I thought.

Got a couple of drums for the diff machined and painted also. Thanks to Ken (mcl1959) for these, they worked great Smiley

Got these for Christmas also ready for the next stage of getting it rolling. Got my first look at adobe beige and I think it'll look nice on the ute when its all done.

Placed the guards on to check nothing was hitting and all fits in well. As my mum says its finally beginning to look a little like a car again. Always more exciting putting stuff on then taking it off.

Next time you hear from me with an update it should hopefully be on its own wheels again  Cool!

Untill next time,
Mark
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »

Powering along now. The adobe beige will look good.

Dave
0417 270 315
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »

Adobe beige does look good and on a ute too.

cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »

I learned to drive in a ute just like that. Had to sit on a saucepan so see over the steering wheel. Changing gears meant moving off the saucepan to reach the clutch.

Dave
0417 270 315
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »

Love the look of that ute collecta! seeing a car that looks that good makes me want to finish myne already haha. Speaking of colour got the car back from its first trip to the painters where the underside got its stoneguard sprayed on.

Have been speaking to a few people about the car and they all seamed to suggest getting the underside of the car painted the same colour as the body. At first I was a little hesitant but decided to listen to the people with more experience and knowledge and get it painted. Glad I did in the end cause it looks great Smiley.

Attached a few photo's below (off my phone so not the best).

Got a couple of weekends booked in to get the thing rolling again so will update again then.

Thanks for looking  Smiley
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »

Not really the weekend yet, but the workshop was little quick yesterday so a couple of the guys got stuck into getting the car on its wheels for the first time in a while. Whole thing when well except for the springs i bought that clearly are not for an FC (way to wide and not long enough). Managed to fix up the old ones up enough until I get a new set made up!

Couple of pics below  Grin

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »

Just wondering what you are doing to balance those brakes . I mean with the larger wheel cylinders still on the back .Haydn
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »

Always feels good to get them back on wheels again.  Cool Cool
   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »

Hi Mark ute is looking good sparewheel door will go to a good project
regards fatboy ( ian filmer)

fatboy
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »

Hi Mark ute is looking good sparewheel door will go to a good project
regards fatboy ( ian filmer)

Thank Ian,

Glad I stumbled across the Facebook page now cause that and the tailgate was going to next weekends job! Can spend more time of the tailgate now (it really needs it haha)! Will give Ed a call tomorrow and see when his free for me to pop round.

smitty

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »

Howdy all,

Have had a couple of good weekends now of work on the old girl and thought an update was needed. Eric has been working hard on the engine, rebuilding the starter motor, cleaning and painting, new clutch and a few other bits of pieces. Had some time this weekend to get that all bolted in as well as finish painting the tray and put the first coat of oxide on the cab floor.
Have done a few other bits and pieces like rebuild the pedal assembly and getting the accelerator pedal bolted in. Anyway pictures below  Smiley

Plan is to get the thing running in the next few weeks. Have started looking for a tail shaft and front and rear yolks but havnt had to much luck yet. Other then that everything is moving along nicely now and it feels good to be putting bits back on the car  Smiley.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: