FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:09:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1959 FC Ute!!  (Read 104069 times)
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys. Hand is all back and functioning now so finally finished the rear pans. Definitely a little harder then the fronts with limited access through the cab partition but got there in the end and doesn't look half bad.

hsv-001, was thinking of doing the tunnel in case i wanted to change something later on but opted not to. I figure the next time it will have changes will hopefully be 5-10 years down the track when it starts to look a little ratty again.

Here are some more pics anyway. Just quickly took them on my phone so not the best quality.

Also got the Hr front end and diff blasted. Eric my Dads senior mechanic ordered all the new bits and pieces and will put it all together for me.

smitty

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »

Been a while since the last update, finding it hard to get into the workshop to get anything meaningful done. Had my uncle come round a few Saturday mornings to help out and its amazing how quickly someone who knows what their doing can get something knocked up and in compared to how long it would take me to do it.

Trying to get all the floor rust repairs finished up as well as the subframe so I can get it off the rotisserie and rolling around by the start of next Uni semester. Anyway here are some shots of the progress.

Slowly getting through and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel Smiley.
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »

That's very impressive. Well done. Hope the pesky study doesn't get in the way to much.

Regards

Wayne b
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »

Thought I might bother you with a few ideas before you go much further.It might be a good idea to relocate the flex brake line back closer to the rear axle so a standard line will fit.Check also the upper rear shocky mounts as heavy duty or double action were not standard and on a couple of my holdens they have torn out.The hr also has   different handbrake cable mounts on the rear floor not on the subframe as on fe fc.I also prefer to weld rear swaybar mounts on diff housing,it looks much neater than those 'u' bolts.just thought I might throw you a few thoughts.Keep the posts coming its a great project.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »

Looking good Smitty, you've come a long way from where you started.
  Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »

Hey guys,

Time again for another update. Thanks to the guys for the comments, good to hear what other people think  Smiley.

Been slowly plugging away over the past few weekends. Have the floor basically done besides a few small holes here and there. Moving onto the exterior panels now and will hopefully have the floor seam sealed and stone chipped in the next few weeks.

That was basically the floor done. Moved onto the sections beside the spear tyre door that I had been dreading. Got my uncle around to help and got it looking ok by the end of the day.

Anyway, that's where im up to. Looking forward to doing something other then cutting out rust but its defiantly taught me the value of patients and sticking with something even if a whole days work doesn't seam to achieve much. In fact most days it seams your going backwards  Roll Eyes.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

Slow and steady wins the race mate

looking good, keep at it

Gary
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 06:23:13 PM »

Doesn't look like your going backwards to me. Looks great.

Regards

Wayne b
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

Don't give up mate . I'm not saying it gets easier but as you get closer to the finish the look back is incredibly rewarding. While I think of it, those two panels that mount the shockies. About 22 years ago I was travelling back from out near Birdsville after around 6 weeks of flood and hit a washout across the road and tore both these from the floor. I guess they were designed for single action shocks. Might be a good idea to weld them all the way around [just because its a ute].Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing more.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:05 AM »

Look at it from another point of view, you have done more in 8 months than most of us have done in a couple of years. I know how you feel, it does get at you when you think you are going backwards, but in the end you will have a real good looking ute and as I will when I finish the sedan, you can stand back and say I did that and it looks great.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys. Defiantly not giving up starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and the list staring to shorten. Put another day in today and a little yesterday so just put up a few more pics.

Managed to finish up both sides around the spare wheel door, Decided to cut the whole outer sill off on one side and filled in the holes in the side sheet.
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »

Also welded all way around the shock mounts, Thanks HSV-001 for the advice  Cheesy
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »

So its been 3 weeks now since my last update and a lot has been done.

Spent the weekend finishing up most of the final rust in the sills and a few small holes that appeared in the floor.
Most of the work has been completed by Mick, owner of another automotive shop across the road from my dads who has taken an interest and will be doing the subframe, doors, bonnet and hanging panels as well as paint the car me in the booth he has in his shop. 

So the subframe and doors have come back and look amazing. I should have taken some pictures but I stashed them away before I thought about it.

This weekend im looking at painting the HR front end. I believe the outrigger on it is an original HR one. I've spent some time researching but still not 100% sure about weather i need to swap it over for a EH-EJ-FC or not? I'm keeping the old Grey so i think i have to swap it over but thought i might check before going ahead and start chopping it up.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Mark

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »

You will need to change the outrigger over, from what I've seen on the forum, the EJ is the better one to use if you can get hold of one. If all else fails, I have a spare FC and FB front end I can cut up .
Regards, Jim

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »

How's the tunnel clearance.
smitty

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

Thanks fcwrangler, will try and get a hold of one before the weekend. If all else fails ill just buy a new one or make one up myself.

hsv-001 I think it should be ok but ill be mocking up the engine and trans once the front end is in so I guess ill find out then haha.

thanks again Smiley
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »

Hi Mark I could be wrong here but looking at the photo of your HR frontend the outrigger looks very much like the EJ outrigger i just welded to my HR frontend
Gordon
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »

Doesn't the FC outrigger that on there do the job?
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

Mark, lokking back at the photos of the front end, Gordon is correct, it already has the EJ outrigger fitted. HR outriggers had a round mounting flange at the front, the other give away is the two holes for the front engine mounts for the grey motor. If you are still unsure, it's just a matter of putting the crossmember into the frontend, you will tell right away if it is correct.
Jim

smitty

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »

Thanks guys, saved me time and money on that one. I do briefly remember when I bought the guy may have said it was out of a car that had a red motor added to it so was probs done then.

thanks again, I owe you all a beer Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: