FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:48:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holden Grey Motors  (Read 8300 times)
Dobbsy54

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »

I have read comments on the site about the difficulty in getting Holden Grey Motors reconditioned/machining etc. My brother & I are about to launch our own engine rebuild business that will specialize only in Holden Grey Motors. The business will go under the name of 'GOING GREY' & my brother, Mr.FE Eddie Dobbs & I will be offering our combined 30+ years experience of racing & building these engines.
The business will offer a complete rebuild package including engine, head, carburation, starter, generator, alternator, gear box, clutch etc. as a ready to run/go package to be fitted to your car.
Standard, mild, club sport to full racing motors can be built.
Any suggestions, ideas, feedback, are welcome to finalize the planning stages of the venture.
Thanks
Garry Dobbs
zl296

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »

where you at gary...

what sort of prices...

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »

Another GAZ,too good,with a fair few doing conversions and the cost and headaches with engineers and RTA offices,i think the work should flow your way,BTW where are you located,good luck!

Big Gaz! Grin
Dobbsy54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »

Hey, we are in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Prices will be determined by each job requirements.
Thanks for the query, let me know if u have any questions or ideas.
Garry
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »

Sounds good to me, this should solve a lot of problems getting the trusty grey rebuilt,bring it on.

FE and FC"S rule.
Dobbsy54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »

STeamman thanks for the query .
What hurdles have you come across that I need to be aware of so that I
can endeavor to eliminate them. All replys gratefully received .
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »

The biggest problem that I see is getting cranks that haven't had the shit ground out of them.

Colin.

colt
Dobbsy54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »

STeam man
Thanks for the response
We know that gray motor crank bearing surfaces become oval and tapered due to the lack of an engine oil filter. Finding decent. Cranks will be a challenge but they are about.and any engine we build will have an oil filter fitted regardless.
We have also found that mineral based oil is better for these engines than synthetic oil for white metal bearings .There are new cranks available,but at $4000.00 plus this would make a rebuild prohibitive ,unless your going to race the beast.
Dobbsy54

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »

Question for the forum from Going Grey.
Opinions on the proposal to supply a complete bolt in reco engine gearbox combination ready to go?
Opinion on whether to build a 3:25 twin carburetor hotty or a fairly standard reco for an authentic restoration?
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »

Hi Garry,
Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in SA with these wonderful historic registration conditions  Tongue
you wont get historic registration with anything that did not come out of the factory like aftermarket tappet covers and certainly not twin carbs.

This is just a bit of info how it is in SA at the moment but things might change if we can get a modified rego scheme up and running(GO STINKY)

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
Iso007

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »

hey dobbsy, I have sent you two pm's with no reply. did you get them?
regards
Ian
Dobbsy54

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »

Ian
It doesn't seem that I have received your pm,s you will have to forgive me, what,s pm,s
It may have escaped everybody,s attention but I am a complete numpty when I am using this electronic
medium.Apparently computer logic is not in my D N A  however I will continue to muddle through with youri
indulgence          Regards Garry at Going Grey
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
+1

Hi Garry,
Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in SA with these wonderful historic registration conditions  Tongue
you wont get historic registration with anything that did not come out of the factory like aftermarket tappet covers and certainly not twin carbs.

This is just a bit of info how it is in SA at the moment but things might change if we can get a modified rego scheme up and running(GO STINKY)

Cheers Stewy   Cool

Here in NSW the Historic registration does recognise "Period correct accessories" and then it depends on how your club interprets that. The club I'm in allows headers e.g X2 Holden and twin carbies, there is an FJ in the club that runs Kleinig headers and twin carbs on his six volt grey. While a club that is closer to where I live won't even allow six inch steel rims with 195 radials which are a lot safer than the original crossply's on skinny rims.
You only have to look at the pictures from the grey pride run held in Berrima to see the amount of mods on some of these cars with NSW Historic rego, and as far as I'm concerned if they are period correct e.g. alloy rocker cover on a grey then I'm all for it. (Remember they even had alloy NASCO rocker covers available through GMH dealerships Wink)

Mick Cool
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

Ian
It doesn't seem that I have received your pm,s you will have to forgive me, what,s pm,s
It may have escaped everybody,s attention but I am a complete numpty when I am using this electronic
medium.Apparently computer logic is not in my D N A  however I will continue to muddle through with youri
indulgence          Regards Garry at Going Grey

Hey Garry
PM's are 'Private Messages' and are a feature of this forum.
If you look at the very top of the page you will see a blue section under where it says "Hello Dobbsy54"
There you will find a tab that says My Messages and a number representing how many unread messages you have received. Click on this tab to open a list of messages. There will be buttons for each message to allow you to reply.
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: