FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Heart Transplant - adding 172ci  (Read 450919 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »

? its in one piece. So I don't know what your talking about

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

More info on EFI Live?

is it just specific to the Delco 808?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

More info on EFI Live?

A Vt commodore works on OBD1 protocols, that's to say its the primitive version that GM were using in the 90's for computers in cars.

Holden require a "TECH2" to plug into the system and do things like remove airbag warnings etc. I wanted to use OBD2 protocols but they were only on the VT HSV models onwards. All I wanted was to view the info that you get on the VT LCD instrument panel.
Here is the difference, my 07 grand cherokee plugs in and sends information to my iPad like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwaLeVoW8I&feature=fvwrel

Alass it won't work so i had to go primitive. With an ALDL cable I can plug straight in and change map settings and remove my dirty airbag warning without having to go to Holden.
Here it is working on a VR Commodore http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCaVbjd2wbo
I don't know how or even if I will integrate it in the final finish

Its a shame cause with the OBD2 wiring I could have activated the door lock and unlock functions from my iPhone and even start the car using it.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

Kinda going backwards again but I wanted to show how close I came to using the V6. I had it in the car using modified engine mounts from V6conversions with standard red engine rubber mounts. The metal one that Pat sent in the mounting kit were pretty small and questionable for use. Not being an engineer or boiler maker I did not pick this up (cheers McBean). So Andrew came round to work some metal magic. In the photos the smaller ones were from V6Conversions.

I had them in and ready to weld - all lined up

I don't have the photo on me but they were pretty well welded in. The extractors that I scored from  michaeljohn1234m wrorked so beautifully well too.

I wish I had a better photo but they swept from the block through the tiny gap perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:58:20 PM by NES232 » Logged

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »

Been a while between drinks (actually I’ve had too many drinks) and the transplant has taken a bit more time to go back and plan exactly what I need to accomplish. Looks like I can use the complete loom from the VT V6 as all the plugs are the same.
Decision: Do I get rid of the whole car that is left or wreck it? I had it for sale for a while and ridiculously cheap for a complete car missing the engine, mind you.  No takers so decision made for me. I decided to wreck the car must to the previous owners distress  Tongue.  But since making that decision I now have a complete set of central door locking motors and power window motors.

I ripped them all out and to ensure I can run it all I checked the compatibility of the SS VT Series1 loom  with the V6 loom (from VT series 2) and wouldn’t you know it, the door loom plugs are different. Fearing the fact it took me 4 days to painfully remove every wire from tail light bulb to headlight bulb, my wife gave me the stern look I was dreading. “You better make sure it works”. Rather than find out later (if the V6 SII loom works or not) I removed the harness from the SS.

Plugs to loom in centre of photo

At least this way I have a loom that is guaranteed to work and have a spare loom to extend wires etc. My wife is excited about the power windows and central locking too!
Speaking of my wife, she has almost perfected Macaroons, much to my delight!!!

The gearbox mount was tacked in and due change of engine was not fully welded in case it needed to be moved.
The Engine mounts however ALMOST fit; I only had to move them 15mm forward. This helped give clearance with the firewall too and helped line up gearbox cross member with the “U” piece for the tunnel.

This shows difference between V6 and V8 that leaves a gap between the blue U piece and the black cross member, moving engine forward fixed this

And after the move its flush

Speaking of clearance from the engine (and with a lot of help from McBean) I started cutting out parts of the metal fold along the rails where the oil filter and balancer would have fouled on. (NO COMMENT REQUIRED HERE McBEAN!)

Area cut for balancer
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:39:12 AM by NES232 » Logged

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »

To neaten it up, the fold was removed completely and seam welded. Above the engine mounts the rails were cut out and another piece slid in to create more room. One rail had blood hay in it???

McBean showing Hoon you don’t need a guard…

Working some pretty nice metal magic there, far beyond my ability (No comment required here FCHoon)

With the new curve we gained extra room, this is with the engine back in

While the engine was out I started marking out the wiring. 60mm hole saw for the fire wall did the job for the wiring to the computer.

After wrecking 3 commodores for parts and changing engines, sleeping in the dog house etc. etc. I had 3 radiators. The VS V6 one is tiny and the V8 VT is a lot thicker than the VT V6 one. The Radiator (Similar to White FC) was recessed in and sunk down. I had a little frame made up to sit the radiator in.

I marked out where to cut and with my awesome grinder skills cut very neatly (definitely no comments McBean and Hoon)

Let’s just say I can control Aircraft from the Tower at work a hell of a lot better… Grin Grin Grin

Anyway after I slotted it in there was bugger all gap left between the balancer and the radiator.

As well as the radiator I’m going to have to look at the sump mods and steering rack placement.
Colours seem to be odd, here is the gap I am looking at

That’s it for now, Still a heap more…..

PS: The following batches of macaroons that were made were almost perfect!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:50:15 AM by NES232 » Logged

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »

Lips sealed no comment on the grinding.
Good stuff Lucky Mcbean im glad i live 30kms away.

I may have to come and help
I know your a drunk so im bound to get a beer and i absolutely love macaroons..

(maybe she could try and get "melting moments" down pat next another favourite..

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »

I know your a drunk so im bound to get a beer and i absolutely love macaroons..

(maybe she could try and get "melting moments" down pat next another favourite..
I think I need a keg system.....I'm not that bad, honest  Grin

Melting moments already one of her best!!

hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2012, 09:02:25 AM »

Great work Nes.  Keep the updates coming.  I may be 6 or so moths behind, but your updates will keep me motivated and the ideas fresh.  Great work. 

PS Thanks for the motivation to go a inj v8.  I feel alot better about the conversion now.  Will be happier with the end result.

Jase
hrpremier

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »

Look'n good,is your engineer ok with the mods to your subframe,keep the pic's com'n.  Gaz! Tongue
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »

PS Thanks for the motivation to go a inj v8.  I feel alot better about the conversion now.  Will be happier with the end result.
Yeah i am so much happier now with the V8. More of a challenge but in the end there ain't now way that my would sound like this.

Just had an exhaust bloke tell me twin 2.5 system is overkill......... I call bullshit

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

Nes

2.5 inch is the way to go.

Sounds great and look good to. I have acouple of big cannons hanging off the back.

Go hard.

Cheers

Craig D
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »

Anyway after I slotted it in there was bugger all gap left between the balancer and the radiator.

Miles of clearance there NES, check out how little room there is with the rb30 crammed in, with all you blokes fitting v8's now I'm starting to wish I'd gone down that path, you can't beat the rumble of an eight with twin pipes.
          Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »

there is still time!!

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »

He wont look back with a rb30 ... Grin

Ole

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

Hi Nes, are the extractors that you had for the V6 to suit a rear mounted rack and pinion? If so, are they still for sale?
Regards Ole.

Adelaide SA
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »

He wont look back with a rb30

You mean i will look back with the rb30, back to see where everyone else is Wink Grin Grin
         Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
michaeljohn1234m

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »

nes, can you give me the measurements for the vt 6 and 8 radiators, and some more photos of the cut in for the radiator
as i'm looking that way with mine
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »

Hi Michael, The V6 and V8 radiators are the same measurements except the V8 one is thicker. I managed to make it fit but recessed to the max. Lots cut away and the thermos don't fit. Haven't figured out the trans cooler and zircon condenser yet.

Mc Bean

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Is that a hint NES Wink Wink

Andy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: