FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 06:20:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In NSW - Can I put a 3.08 in an FC Station Wagon?  (Read 7649 times)
Macandme

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »

In NSW - Can I put a 3.08 in an FC Station Wagon?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:16:48 AM »

Yes you can fit up to i think its 317 cu inches there abouts anyway.

With all the requirements to pass engineering.
Brakes
Chassis kit
2 speed wipers
heater / demister
seat belts
ect

Pete

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:02 AM »

G'day Macandme,

The link below may help:

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15058

Cheers,
Harv.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »

I know they are only guide lines  but haven't they changed this for vehicles under 1100 KG in NSW  Huh Huh Huh Huh

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

Not as far as I know (but then again, I'm travelling that much for work that I could have missed it  Sad).

Under the existing guidelines (and for naturally aspirated):
Up to 1100kg and originally a 4-cylinder/rotary: original vehicle mass x 3 = max vehicle capacity in cc.
More than 1100kg, or more than 4 cylinders, and monocoque: original vehicle mass (kg) x 4.82 = max vehicle capacity in cc.
More than 1100kg, or more than 4 cylinders, and chassis: original vehicle mass (kg) x 5.46 = max vehicle capacity in cc.

The NSW government has been talking of introducing the National Code of Practice, but has not yet. Under the NCOP (and for naturally aspirated):
Up to 800kg: original vehicle mass (kg) x 3 = max vehicle capacity in cc.
800-1100kg: original vehicle mass (kg) x 4 = max vehicle capacity in cc.
More than 1100kg: original vehicle mass (kg) x 5 = max vehicle capacity in cc.

Is this where the 1100kg came from?

Cheers,
Harv.
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:58:17 AM »

I'd be checking with an RMS approved engineer before going ahead with any modification cos as far as I was aware June 19 was the deadline for the new laws.  A mate if mine rang up an engineer a couple of weeks ago and he wanted to put a 350 Chev in a he which under both laws old and new would be fine but was told he would have to go through extensive brake tests which would make the whole process both expensive and long. 
Ben
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »

G'day Ben,

I have to admit I'm not an RMS approved engineer, just an interested user of the laws (... with an 327 Chev EK wagon yet to certify  Grin), so I could be wrong.

Could a 350 Chev be legally jammed into an early Holden last year? Yes, because the engineering guidance is just that... guidance, not mandatory. Some engineers would (and will) approve 350's in early Holdens, others will not even when the guidelines show it is marginal (for my EK wagon, a 350 is 0.6% too big for the NSW guidance... and hence many engineers say no, whilst some say close enough). The engineering guidelines and standards behind both the old Engineering Certification Scheme (ECS) and new VSCSS have not changed i.e. VIS sheets still hold (as guidelines), not NCOP. That same 350 can still be jammed in, as long as the engineer is happy.

June 19 was the cutout date where  (ECS) certificates could be submitted. If you had been building a vehicle, and had it inspected and certified, you could present the old certificate to the RTA (now RMS) and they would accept it. After June 19, you now need a VSCSS certificate instead of the ECS one.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/authorisedinspectors/vsccs/vsccs_vehicle_owners.html

Regardless of certifying authority, the standards are the same. The brake test, to my knowledge, is discretionary - some are doing it, others are not. This has been a topic hot enough for the Minister to comment:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents/downloads/minister_releases/120302_mr_new_vsccs_booklet_available.pdf

I agree with you - best way forward for anyone modifying a vehicle in NSW is to talk to the engineer first. Each engineer interprets the guidance differently - shop around and find an engineer whose appetite for risk (for example brake tests) matches yours (or mine  Grin).

Cheers,
Harv.
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »

my engineer said 304 but could maybe go 308.........depends on weight
you could put some bags of concrete in the boot haha
also cant you stroke a 289 to 350?
get it regoed with the 289  chev then get it home and put in the 350 crank
dont know how true this is though?HuhHuhHuh??

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »

haha i packed a toolbox and sat in the car when it was weighed..............1140kg

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »

the weight gors off a recorded weight that the RTA/RMS has on record NOT the weight of the car you have, so you could fill it with lead and it won't make a scrap of differance to what you can and can't do
and it says 3.08 maybe he just wants to change the diff centre Grin
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »

ok i thought i was getting it weighed for  engineering for that reason.
thanks for clearing that up..................
sorry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: