FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:42:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sideplate breather pipe mod.  (Read 7128 times)
mal

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2004, 11:14:33 PM »

Has anyone had experience in modifying the breather outlet on the grey sideplate?
I was thinking about making up a breather box and pipe to run any oil/fumes back to the carb to burn it- rather
than dump it on the ground (or all ove the dist. and engine as my pipe is missing Embarrassed)
Has anyone attempted this before- or more importantly- is there a better way to solve this problem?
Can I get away with simply plugging the sideplate outtlet??
Cheers-
Mal
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 01:08:55 AM »

Dont see y not.

Just a PCV system isnt it, use a suitable pcv valve and plug it into your air intake or under carb.

u could always dump it into a catch can?

very environmentally conscious of you

HTH

Ed

in the shed
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 01:38:16 AM »

Hi Mal,
Many moons ago you could buy this kit (and possibly still can) through Repco type suppliers. It's pretty easy to make your own though & I ran one on my EJ.
You need some oil resistant rubber hose the same diameter as the PCV valve's big end and a length of smaller diameter to run from the valve to an adaptor into the manifold below the carby.
The big end of the valve is about the same size as the breather outlet on the sideplate so all you have to do is clamp the hose to that & the valve. The valve won't operate upside-down so you need to position it so that it sits upright(ish)
hope this helps
Leigh

Red & white is alright
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 05:39:10 AM »

what ever you do DONT plug hole as you will pressurise your engine and blow all seals and gaskets out weakest first and get oil everywhere.

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »

This sounds interesting anyone got any pictures? Do you think they might still be available?

Regards

Wayne b
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »

what ever you do DONT plug hole as you will pressurise your engine and blow all seals and gaskets out weakest first and get oil everywhere.

If you capped the walking stick, wouldn't it breathe out the air vent/mesh of the grey motor filler cap? You'd end up with oil all over the motor, but shouldn't blow gaskets/seals.

If the blowby is severe enough, it will do this even with a PCV valve.

Cheers,
Harv
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »

Best to use "Crankcase Ventilation" in any searches so you don't get plastic PVC pipes coming up all the time  :You could go for something like this

or use the HQ V8 kit to route it, but being a farm boy I would personally just go and use garden ones which are basically the same or brass ones from the plumbers which would look cool, better still get your mate to bend the pipe up and have it solid.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/crankcase-breather-oil-filter-crank-case-sprite-MGB-MGA-MG-VW-holden-fc-hr-eh-fj-/140979367535?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d3066e6f
http://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/assets/full/10406.jpg

I have been thinking about this type of thing. This is widely available on ebay etc and is a Chinese one and suits a range of vehicles. You could even plumb it parallel with the sump under thew manifolds for a discreet look. Beauty of this one is the mounting points.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:03:26 PM »

Thanks Deano.

Regards

Wayne b
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »

http://californiaspeedsupplies.com.au/oil_caps.html

For sexy one  Kiss There are many other options, but what you need to consider is at which point you put the suck hole and what size you choose because it may affect your carby tune, so some blokes on here might be able to tell you what diameter works best.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »

This article has a cool diagram and warning from people who have had issues.

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/PCV

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: