FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 09:43:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: paints  (Read 2253 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

Hi everyone

does anyone have 2 pak and acrylic paint codes or formulas for Breton Blue and Teal Blue pls.

While I am on it, I was gunna go 2 pak but have been thinking of using first class primers (like epoxy types) regardless of what I use on top. But lately I have been getting different opinions on Acrylic and people saying they regret going 2 pak cos of blending issues for touch ups and chipping. I think acrylic is more likened to original paints on old cars so I suppose it depends on what I want from the paint.

Also, with base coat 2 pak, does it matter if ya base coat it way in advance, then rub back and do hardener coats later? I hear different opinions about this too! Most painters I have spoken to reckon as long as the base is good and totally clean, 2 pak paints will be right. I think acrylic is better to have done all in one go perhaps.

Also, guys who have done longer term restos and have acrylic paint, if you look after it and dont use cutting polishes, the acrylic clear coats should last a fair while hey if the car is undercover. Id like to hear from people that have some knowledge and have done both etc.

Cheers

Deano.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
John253a
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »

It also comes down to the quality of paint used, most long term resto, that I no of are blasted right before paint, most people that I no that do them only blast hard bits/ rusted areas at start, to save cost, do the repairs requires, and mods needed, and just prime with a pressure pack or whatever they have lying around, once all the repairs are done, they blast and strip back to bare and get painted straight away.

Another thing you may not no, base/ solid colours in 2pac dont need to be cleared, but all others do.
And if you have the paint code and brand the colour is easy to repair,

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »

Im def not using pressure packs as stated. Only good quality undercoat.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
John253a
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

i think you misunderstood,
you use the pressure packs or spray gun on the repaired section,
"once all the repairs are done, they blast and strip back to bare and get painted straight away"
you only spray it enough to prevent rusting until hole car is repaired, then you block/strip/blast car, to give a pure clean surface to prime, paint all at same time

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: