FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:36:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Overheating issues?  (Read 6363 times)
lostsheep

Model: FC

Jules

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »

Hi guys

I have just rebuilt my 138 motor from ground up, changing all rings, bearings, gaskets etc - however when I fired it up today and got it running by itself (FINALLY!!) the water temperature gets really hot? The water pump seems to be working fine and the radiator has just been re cored and the temp gauge is brand new! 

Any ideas? Or things I can do to diagnose what the problem could be?

Thanks a million!!

Jules

Perth - WA
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

thermostat?

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »

Does it have a heater? if it does did you have the tap turned on
Is the Thermostat new
Are all the hoses new old ones might be rotted and sucking in
Did you fill it up and then put the cap on because the best thing ti do is bleed the system with the cap of and let the air escape if there is any in it ,it is a slow way but the best way

Cheers Damo58

Iam good just ask me Smiley
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »

Check your timing.  Retarded could cause it to overheat.

1959 FC Holden Ute
John253a
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »

Hi guys

I have just rebuilt my 138 motor from ground up, changing all rings, bearings, gaskets etc - however when I fired it up today and got it running by itself (FINALLY!!) the water temperature gets really hot? The water pump seems to be working fine and the radiator has just been re cored and the temp gauge is brand new!  

Any ideas? Or things I can do to diagnose what the problem could be?

Thanks a million!!

Jules

when you say hot, how hot?
check it with a manual temp gauge, and see what temp it is
what thermostat do you have? and what temp?, does it have a little valve on the side (if not drill a 1/16  or 3/64 hole on the edge) to allow air to exit the system
what cap do you have?, a 4psi is std but idd fit a 7 or 10 (4= 107degC 10= 117degC)
and is it for a recover system? and if so is there a recovery system?

have you checked the pump, do this by removing the thermostat and starting the car with the top hose off and see how much water is pumped out
Do you have the stock fan fitted? or thermo's?

also as previous posted timing
and with a new engine you need to use running in oil as everything is so tight its hard to oil in there, this also generates excess heat,

did you build yourself, if it doesn't sort itself out after 500kms idd be pulling it down and double checking the tolerances

another thing if the radiator was recorded, did it have passes put in it, if so the stock pump doesnt like it as it has trouble pumping through them and it may be possible the passes are in wrong and only some of the radiator is being used
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:46:27 PM by John253a » Logged
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »

Good question Jules. I have rebuilt two greys both properly and experienced the same problem in my FE. The critical issue if all else is ok is the thermostat, check that its operating correctly. We couldn't figure out what the problem was.

After some thought we ran a by pass pipe from the thermostat housing to the water pump, which solved the problem. It slows down the water flow giving it more time to cool the engine. Not possible if you run a heater, of course. After this we also did the mod on my wagon engine with excellent results. Here's a photo.

Hope this helps
Cheers
john

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »

Another thing to check before spending a lot or making mods is to make sure you have the correct sender for the Temp Guage.
I thought my Red 6 was running constantly hot until I was told to check the sender and it was the wrong one, instant "normal" engine temps  Grin

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »

Did you have any machining done to the block? And did you clean out the water galleries? I presume you replaced the welsh plugs? The resultant muck can cause blockages.

Colin.

colt
lostsheep

Jules

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:31:57 AM »

Thanks for all your prompt responses... I replaced the thermostat (the old one seemed to still be working - but a new one was only 10 bucks) and 'bleed' the system however the timing was way out and running real crappy - so that may have cause the initial overheating. 

Its all tuned up now and running fine.. I'll have to take it for a drive tomorrow and see how the temp/oil pressure goes.

Thanks for your help... its great to be part of an active (and helpful) forum  Grin

Jules

Perth - WA
moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »

After my motor was fully rebuilt the reconditioners filled every hole in the block/head with an oil under pressure to ensure no corrosion whilst we were waiting to hit the go button. At first start up we could not get good circulation due to oil in the water jacket. After a few bleeds (initially blocked) the circulation was great and all returned to normal.   Cheers Moe`t
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: