FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 01, 2024, 09:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tool for repairing doors  (Read 3540 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »

Hi

Just wondering what that tool is called to bend back the crease at the edge of the doors when repairing outer door sections. It is a bit like plyers or staple pullers but on bit is flat and the other end gets under the fold and allows you to flatten out the rolled part to get under where the spot welds are. Yes, ok I am going a bit old school, but one of my mates today said it just won't cut it if I don't have a crack at doing this type of repair.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
GMB-58FC

Model: FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »

I'm not 100% sure on your description as I've never used anything like pliers to do the job (if Im understanding you correctly) but I've always used a seam chisel to separate spot welds.

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:31:17 PM »

I managed to look today at the hardware store and they called the carpenters pliers but I want the ones with a flat bottom edge. I may have been looking a some sort of custom tool.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »

Deano, I think the tool you are talking about is called pichers, my dad was a carpenter and he used them for pulling out small nails and staples.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »

How do others go about peeling the fold or lip back on edge of the doors. I suppose if its being replaced it doesn't matter too much but maybe I might just wanna do a small inner repair and fold and spot the original. I know what i mean  Grin Cheesy

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

Deano, you would have to drill out each spot weld and then work the lip up with a whole lot of care so you don't damage the door or the lip. I would think the easyest way would be to grind down the edge of the door skin, do the repairs and weld it back up. Your other option would be to do a 1/2 skin replacement or cut and fold a replacement section.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »

These repairs I was just gunna cut new section and do a fold and dolly it up then spot weld it like original. If its buggered I will do the same as when u do the whole skin as you suggest but if it was just an inner repair I wanted to know of other blokes were skilled enough to use the original fold and re spot it.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: