FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:34:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My FC Rebuild  (Read 213045 times)
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:46 AM »

Forgot i did them..  Cheesy

Did you buy a chrome surround for your seat adjuster ? I ended up with a rares one.

DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »

They look great Jim.

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »

I would venture to say that I am the first to use them.The little things are easy to forget, that's why I posted the shots. These clips and the ones for the rear paint splitter mould are the out of sight out of mine parts in a rebuild, so it was a no brainier for me to post the photos as it will refresh people's memory about them. Yes I have the chrome slide cover but it doesn't show up all that well in the photo.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »

good thinking Jim
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2015, 07:49:29 PM »

A bit more done today until the grinder decided it had done enough.
Got both front door pillar loom boxes done, but had to redo the swivels as they sat to high in the box and didn't line up with the cover plate.

also got a small parts sand blasting cabinet so I could clean all the little parts (door hinges etc)
but for some reason imgur will not let me post the photos.

Depined and removed the brass bushes from a front and rear hinge and blasted them, and for those who are not sure, the front and rear pins and bushes are the same. I will see if I can work out whats wrong with imgur and post the other photos later.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »

GOOGLE has something called reCAPCHA and looks like it filters "span". Now just have to work out how to get rid of it, what a pain in the rear.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2015, 09:29:58 AM »

Rear door looms done and have decided to use the spare wire for the interior light and alarm. The plan for today is to finish off fitting the electrics in the doors, still can't get rid of this rotten reCAPCHA so no photos at this stage.
Jim

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »

Are you using Chrome?

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2015, 10:41:27 PM »

Ok, that silly problem with recaptcha has some how deleted itself and I can now doenload pictures again.

this is the small parts sandblaster

and the door hinges done, the front one has been blasted and the rear one has also been sanded ready for paint

I have also done the rest of the hinges, but didn't take any photos as I thought I couldn' post them. Hopefully I will be able to do some more on the doors and get them finished next weekend.
Jim

59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2015, 11:29:02 PM »

Looks like they turned out well, Jim. What are your thoughts on the sandblast unit? Cheers, John
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »

G,day John, it's not a bad little unit although there are on directions on how to set it up nor the fact that you need to hook up a vacuum cleaner to extract excess dust. I found out after doing the first couple of hinges that without the vacuum, you get blow back through the lid and end up with a black neck. Also, I think it could do with some kind of internal agitator to keep the medium covering the pick up hose.
Jim

NickZ

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48:15 AM »

I've got one of the sandblasters too, Didn't know about the vacuum either. I had trouble seeing what was in the blaster as it got real dusty in there on the screen.
Ill try that now, should make life easier.
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »

Thanks, Jim. I got one of those 40 litre portable units for external blasting a while back (which I haven't yet used). If I get a cabinet, I may be able to adapt this to fix the medium pickup problem. Good heads up with the vacuum cleaner. Did you just use normal garnet? Cheers, John
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »

When i first started the workshop we had a cheaper style suction one like this but the bigger cabinet.
we used a timber style dust extractor as the vaccums dont seem to last long.
also if the nozzles play up there was an old chap making some on ebay they had a tungsten nozzle i still have the one out of it somewhere.
we ended up going to a very large australian abrasives pressurised bead blaster its the ducks guts in blasters as we use it a lot.

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:18 PM »

John, I used the fine grit from super cheap it cleans quite well.
Pete, maybe a bit of false economy on my part! I have been looking at a medium cabinet from Hare&Forbes for around $800-$900 from memory. I will see how things pan out once the sedan is finished and have a look at the ute.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »

some more progress on the car over the last few weeks, finished off fitting the power windows and central locking units to the doors
and fitted the new bush and pin kits to the hinges then refitted the doors onto the body for a final test before the skins go on.

getting closer, bit by bit, hopefully a full weekend next week will see the doors reskined and back on the wheels.
Jim

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »

Impressive Jim.

Dave
0417 270 315
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »

Impressive indeed and I do like the cable set-up through the door jam. A Pete special.

Regards

Wayne b
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »

thank god I'm not paying someone by the hour for repairs! it took 6 hours to clean all the old soundproofing from inside the door skins and then sand them all as clean as I could get them. 50 odd years of surface rust on a couple of the skins was a pain, but two of them were fairly good.

the outsides of the skins wre the worst.

All four have also been treated with metal prep rust treatment, I'll let them dry over night and paint the insides with white kill rust as I did with the door frames and then spray on the soundproofing before fitting the skins to the doors.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

been off with the flu for 2 weeks but got a bit more done over the last couple of days. Fitted the stainless trims and the arm rests to the door cards and painted and sound proofed the inside of the door skins. Also had a call from my mate who is doing the brakes for me to let me know he is just waiting on a couple of parts and all will be done and ready to fit up. Hopefully have the door skins fitted this week (said that before) and move on with the rest of the car.
Can't get into Imgur at the moment, so I will post some photos later.
Jim

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: