FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:34:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Carby heat insulator/spacer.  (Read 5267 times)
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »

Hey guys ... have just re-built and re-kitted two standard BXOV-1 Strombergs and about to mount on a Lanspeed Twin Manifold ... wondering if I should fit heat insutator/spacers ... any thoughts ?  Experiences ?

Thanks, Dave.

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »

Good question Dave,

I've been running twins for a while without them and I've seen sets with and without them, I've got a few spacers hanging in the shed just never bothered to see if it makes a difference or not Huh
Then again I don't have a choke on my carbies either as I'm happy to sit there and let it warm up with my foot on the gas Wink

Will be interesting to read the responses.

Mick Cool
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »

It is a good idea to fit the insulators Grin the idea is to keep as much heat out of the carby as possible  to stop vaporising the more dense the fuel the bigger the bang .......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »

Mark, thanks for that info, but are there any other benefits of fitting a spacer? What effect (if any...) would a longer inlet tract have??

cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »

Mark, thanks for that info, but are there any other benefits of fitting a spacer? What effect (if any...) would a longer inlet tract have??

cheers, jack

Jack are you talking about increase in velocity because of the height  Huh Huh......FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »

Not sure, Mark... I think I recall some theory about a longer inlet tract possibly giving increases in mid-range torque in modified red sixes...

But then again, I AM an old bastard, and increasingly find myself thinking of the 'hereafter'...

(as in walking down to my shed to do a job and when I get there thinking "WTF am I here after"...  Cheesy)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

Hi Dave,

I asked a similar question an number of years back. See link below-

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9443.msg56553.html#msg56553

I had read a book on small block chevs and it indicated that a small increase in Hp can be gained by increasing the size of the spacer. Unsure how but would be something to do with atomisation I would suggest.

I didn't put spacers in mine because it would mean getting the studs replaced.

Have a read of the thread listed above.

Cheers

Rod
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »

Thanks gents for the responses so far ... I read somewhere that extractors can reduce inlet manifold temperature ... I am fitting them too so does that make any difference ?

Cheers, Dave.

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
OldGMHolden
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »

Hi Dave,
The insulator is there to help prevent heat transfer from the manifold to the carby.
It "could" help mid-range flow, but because it is so short the results would probably be immeasurable.

As you are running twins the manifold almost certainly does not have a hot box, so the inlet manifold is not heated by the exhaust anyway.

The same applies to extractors.
As there is no hotbox, the exhaust does not heat the inlet manifold, so it (the inlet manifold) will run cooler.

I have seen old racing greys develop ice on the manifold where twin carbs are mounted. (TRUE!!!)
With triples the carbs are closer to the head, therefore warmer, and this would rarely occur.

However, some older multi-carb manifolds had a rudimentary hot-box of sorts.
The manifold metal was thicker where it passed over the second and third exhaust pipes, and in fact actually touched in most instances depending on style of extractors.
We had to file a little (or big) bit of clearance depending on the application.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,
Gaz
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »

I'm getting the idea that the insulator was always fitted on the standard manifold with hotbox but I never seem to see them fitted on twin or triple manifolds ... What thoughts Huh

Port Macquarie NSW
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »

many of the twin carb manifolds actually curve up and sit much higher than the standard manifold. With the carbs and reasonable air cleaners on top you can start to get pretty close to the bonnet. I suspect that many people leave spacers off for this reason i.e. to actually gain a bit of space (I did).

Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: