FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 04, 2024, 02:47:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: BOYS OF BONNEVILLE  (Read 2025 times)
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just watched a review of this movie on the Jay Leno's garage website and it looks the goods.  Purchased a copy of the DVD and will post a review once it has arrived and I have had a chance to watch it!

Main Website
http://www.boysofbonneville.com/

Review on Jay's Garage Website
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/book-club/jays-book-club-boys-of-bonneville/

Hope someone else gets a kick out of it!

MICK
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »

Good morning everyone,

DVD arrived on Tuesday and I gave it a watch last night.  Very impressed!

I have always been an avid fan of what goes on out at Bonneville, but never knew too much about the history of it, nor anything about Ab Jenkins the man who started it all.  The DVD follows Abs career as a driver starting from his days running across America, around the old board tracks and  competing in hill climb events.  It follows the progress of how he built up various cars for out and out speed and endurance:  Pierce Arrows, Duesenbergs all the way though to the purpose built aero engined Mormon Meteor III.  Ab Jenkins makes modern day drivers look like pampered babies:  He was sitting in a car for 24 hours straight doing 120MPH+ in the 1920s and 30s, no windscreen, a soft leather helmet and a pair of goggles, stopping only to have a glass of juice and a glass of milk every time the car needed a top up.  Classic line from the movie taken from one of his pit crew goes along the lines of:  Ab never got out of the car, he never ate during his runs, all he ever did was drink milk and juice, god only knows where it all went because there certainly wasn't any time for toilet breaks when Ab was driving. In his 24 hour runs Ab would break up to 50 different land speed records (some still stand today) and then he would invite others to come and try to push his them further so he could break them back!

The racing history is in the movie is fantastic, but it is the back story that really struck a note with me.  When Ab semi-retired from racing he donated his car to the city he was from, where it was proudly displayed in their council building.  After his death it got neglected, kids were allowed to climb on it, steal things off it, stick rubbish down it's exhaust.  After years of trying Abs son Merv buys the car back from the city and sets about restoring it to it's former glory.  This is a genuine love story, a man and his Dad's car..........I wont spoil this part, just recommend you grab a copy and have a watch.  Seeing his reaction when the car is fired up for the first time in 50 years defiantly brought a tear to my eye. 

4 out of 5 stars

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »

Hey Mick
Thanks for the review, movie looks very interesting.
Watched the trailor, and it includes incredable original footage.
Only $29.95US delivered to your door.....
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: