FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:27:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Starter motor problems (grey)  (Read 2874 times)
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »

I suspect my starter motor may be the new problem I'm having starting my ute lately, its making a loud clacking noise and it started a few weeks ago. At first I thought the battery so I have charged it a couple of times, but last night I was going to get the ute out to visit a mates shed and all I got was a clacking barely turning starter and flat battery Angry Angry
I've got a couple of spare starters (condition unknown) that I'll test today they were part of the spares I got when I brought the ute, just thinking back and even though the grey has the pertronix ignition conversion it has been winding over longer before firing this is about the time the starter began playing up.

Could a faulty starter be draining voltage from the ignition circuit??

Mick Cool
OldGMHolden
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »

G'day Mick,
Without actually checking it myself, it's a bit tricky diagnosing the fault, but I suspect the battery.
This time of year is a real killer of batteries.

Try this....

Turn the headlights on, then try to start the motor.
If the headlights go REALLY dim, it's more than likely the battery.
If the lights stay fairly bright, but you hear the clacking noise, it will be either the brushes or solenoid contacts.

Have you tried another battery, or jump starting with jumper leads?

Cheers,
Gaz
newman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »

Gaz,

Had time at lunch to drop the starter out, the brushes were worn down pretty well but the commutator wasn't marked so that was good. I've had no luck sourcing brushes on the internet so as a stop gap measure I've shimmed the old brushes with 1.6 brass so the retaining spring clip doesn't arc out and cause more damage.
I'll put it back together tomorrow and see what happens, but back to my original question.

Could a faulty starter be draining voltage from the ignition circuit??

Mick Cool
OldGMHolden
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »

G'day Mick,
It is possible that a faulty starter motor could lower the ignition voltage (on a good battery), but it's doubtful if the starter would turn the engine over with such low voltage.
Cable and connections would also get very hot.
Do you have access to a voltmeter (multimeter) ?
Cheers,
Gaz
newman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »

Yes I do, was thinking I would check for continuity etc when I drop the starter back in. Where do you find brushes to suit Shocked Shocked there is a listing on Ebay for two but they are for FX/FJ six volt that only run two brushes not four like the FE onwards greys.
I don't even know if they are compatible I'm thinking they must be bigger given they only had two brushes.

Mick Cool
newman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »

Just back from a road test after getting the ute up and running Grin Grin Grin Fitted the starter back in this morning with the shimmed brushes and it started straight up, I guess the starter motor brushes wearing down is such a gradual process its hard to detect until you have starter problems.
Just a side issue, the new extractors I fitted six months ago were a real neat fit as far as changing starter motors. Almost an interference fit but glad I didn't have to take the extractors off Wink

Mick Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: