FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:56:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: JP-481 has resurfaced. No, really.  (Read 20117 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »

There are barn finds and there are barn finds.

The second of the three Detroit built 48-215 prototypes has turned up in Victoria. It's unrestored, original and still runs!

Discovery of missing link in Holden history: a special FX masterpiece (SMH Drive).

BEHIND a small white garage door at the end of a neat, geranium-lined concrete driveway in inner Melbourne sits a grey, nondescript sedan.

Bought for a song from the estate of a former Holden worker, the first clue that it was the missing link in the evolution of the modern Australian automobile was a number ''2'' stamped on a plate under the bonnet.

Aficionados thought the GM Prototype Holden No. 2, one of three shipped from the US in 1946 to develop the first Australian family sedan, was lost forever. But it was one of several old Holdens bought by Damon Donnelly's father, Peter, for about $15,000 two years ago in a job lot from a deceased estate.

''We didn't know what it was,'' Damon Donnelly says. ''She's pretty rough. I don't know if she's been indoors all the time, but there's only a bit of surface rust, so she's in good condition.''

Most Holden enthusiasts will be aware of the story of prototype #1, which had a fairly unlucky existence until it was purchased and lovingly restored by the Strongman family. It is now owned by the National Museum. Photos abound in Holden histories of the prototypes, which carried the licence plates "JP-480", "JP-481" and "JP-482". For the second one to now turn up is nothing short of amazing. If only it had been discovered before Jack Rawnsley passed away earlier this year. I'm sure he would have loved to learn it was still around.

Follow the link above for more photos and the full story. You may also want to wear a bib...

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
snuff69

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
+1

That's pretty amazing after so long, you would have thought someone would have discovered what the car was before this. I wonder if he'll take a cheque Grin Grin
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »

The video is a bonus.
What a fantastic car to be found after all these years.
I wonder what else was in the job lot.
Regards
Alex

Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »
+1

This car has been around for quite some time!

It was on many a forum in 2009 and 2010.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10040

The car is yet to be blessed by any of the Guru's.

Steve

Factory Paint FB and EK's wanted.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »

Hmm. Thanks for the link, Steve.

There's not much left in the rubble of that thread to make much sense of, but it was obviously fairly acrimonious. It all seems very unfortunate.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »

What a pity that the owner does not want to seem to allow it to be put forward to be verified that it is the 2nd prototype.

As RET said, very unfortunate

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »

What an amazing piece of history to have in the garage.

I wonder if he'll take a cheque
In the first link he says he wants $1.2 million which if its is number 2 sounds like a bargain.

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
Dave88

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »

What an amazing piece of history to have in the garage.
In the first link he says he wants $1.2 million which if its is number 2 sounds like a bargain.

Cheers
Paul

This car has caused a lot of controversy between historians and on other forums. For $1.2 million I know I'd be wanting a car that could be absolutely guaranteed as being the genuine article  Smiley
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »

Methinks he is trying to hype it a bit. But if he really was serious, let some experts at it for an hour or 2 to verify and then... BANG!! ....$2m or to the highest bidder at somewhere like Shannons.

I think the way he has acted would put off someone and that he is trying to pull a fast one or something similar.

People are strange animals  Roll Eyes

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »

Very interesting. Shocked $1.2 million and its parked in a garage. Huh I hope it has security and the car has an immobiliser. Lips sealed

Yellow Knight

GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »

Did anyone notice the Oil Filter?  That dosn't seam original

OldGMHolden
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »

I'm not surprised at the addition of the oil filter, but what sort of person would replace the GMH bonnet lettering with HOLDEN, and not bother to fill or even paint the old holes (which don't look like 63 years old.)?
Maybe it's just to accentuate the old holes to further the intrigue?
Anyhow, I would buy it except I've no money.
Gaz.
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »

I'd buy it except my wife would go crook if I brought another project home... Wink

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 05:11:18 AM »

Imagine trying to explain to the wife why you paid so much when its the same as a 10 grand one.....

And also imagine the enthusiats whinging that you hadnt placed a bolt in the right position or the battery wasnt period ect i have a army jeep that gets picked on as its an aftermarket wiring harness they shit me.

Pete

Penguin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »

It'd be fun to lower it and put fatties on it  Grin. That'd make 'em squirm a little bit.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:40 AM »

nah it needs a chop a V8 and we can ebay the tags...

in the shed
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »

I'm with Ed. Section it, canted quads on the front,frenched rears, rolled pans. Sweet as...........

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »
+3

I know this is a very old topic but...

Norm Darwin's article in the Feb edition of the Automotive Historians Australia magazine has an interesting outcome about JP-481.

Check out page 8: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/579ae8c9725e25911c587e32/t/63fbed62306fcc2ae530ec35/1677454706047/AHA%2BFebruary%2B2023%2BNewsletter.pdf

In summary, according to Norm, a bloke was sentenced to 3 years jail in Oct '22 for fraud related to JP-481  Shocked

Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Gman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 08:59:16 AM »

I had the opportunity to inspect the car after the forensics had finished with it, here are some of the pics I took.

Gman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 09:32:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: