FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 12:17:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Holden short motors  (Read 2931 times)
fb delivery

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gklS74076C4&NR=1

anyone know wot engine number these motors wought have had

Thanks Rob
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
+1

To my knowledge all motors sold through Holden spare parts, prior to 1970, had no engine numbers. It was up to the owner or the fitter to go to the pits (or similar) & get a new number stamped on the block.

I believe that the law changed in this regard & the engines had to be stamped before sale from 1970 onwards. This later type of replacement engine then had prefixes which differed from regular production.

This may be different from state to state.

Dr Terry
fb delivery

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:52 PM »

Thanks Dr Terry

Rob
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
+1

These motors were stamped with what are now known as "police" numbers Before the RTA, engine numbers were stamped at your local station. Victorian cars were stamped VXXYYYYYP, New South Wales had NXXYYYYP etc
The XX is the year the block was stamped and the YYYY is a sequential number.

Ken
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »

Ken,

That is what was supposed to happen, that is why the law was changed around 1970. Police numbers were usually stamped after fitting, not prior to sale at the spare parts outlet.

Police numbers are still used today, in the case of stolen or imported engines, in fact in any situation where there is an issue with the existing number.

The problem was that many owners (or fitters) used any number. Many, for convenience, just re-used their old one, which saved the need to inform the authorities after an engine swap. Others didn't bother using any number, just left them blank. After decades of this nonsense the RTA etc. had duplicate numbers appearing in their files, so something had to be done.

Dr Terry.
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »

That might explain why the FC wagon I purchased for parts in the end had a reasonable grey motor in it,(complete with speco rocker cover)
had no evidence of ever having any engine number stamped.
I am using it for bits as I have the original block with the correct engine number for FErgus and is repairable.
And if I ever needed to use this block I would stamp it with the number I would be replacing it with and make sure the other one was destroyed.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: