FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:41:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor 1/4 Race Cam  (Read 10271 times)
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »

I am often amazed at how some things turn out.I have recently stripped the FC motor intially to give it a new timing gear and gaskets and that's about it as funds are limited for a complete rebuild at this stage and I was informed by the previous owner that it was a reco motor (yeah,about 20 years ago).I have also looked into alloy timing gears for Grey motor and the cheapest I have found is about $249 for the two gear kit from American Auto's.Today at a local swapmeet I found a brand new Grey motor cam with an alloy gear on it for $20!!!!The guy seamed a bit sketchy about it's history but was adamant that it had never been fitted which is quite obvious as it still has Moly grease on it and apart from a tiny bit of pitting on the two rear journals is spotless.The tag on it said it was 1/4 Race and I didn't go into that part with him.I have measured all the journals and they are standard size.I have compared the overall lobe size on the new one and it is about 40thou less than the regrind that came out of the motor (which doesn't actually equate to 40thou less lift because it is measured of the cam centre).The new cam has a Holden logo cast into it in the same spot as original also although the rest of the casting seems slightly different. There are no other markings or stamps on the cam in the usual places (normally front or rear).Without using a Dial indicator and a degree wheel I cannot tell if there is anything different about this cam.It may well be a stocker with an alloy gear which doesn't bother me either.What was the theory behind a 1/4,1/2,or 3/4 race cam as far as specs go as I am pretty familiar to cam specs.I remember hearing this "Race Cam" term about 20 years ago.Any help appreciated.

Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »

Compare the lobe shapes rather than lobe heights, duration - that is the speed with which the valves open, how long they are open and how quickly they close is what is more important. This is determined by how "fat" or "skinny" the lobe looks compared to original.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »

A quarter cam id suspect is what they would call a mild cam now. I don't think there were hard and fast factual cam grind specs for each, quarter, half etc. Although maybe there were meant to be.

Its a bit like the stupid 1 in 100 year flood crap. That means we should not have another flood for 300 years! The "full" is a fully blown race cam, but even that is no good cos was it speedway race or drag race etc.

It was language so that people could half understand what they were buying without being technical.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »

If you look at the back of the lobe and compare it with a standard cam you should be able to get an indication as to how much more lift it has over the standard cam... any idea of the valve lash  Huh  if it's a mild cam should be around 20 / 60  ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »

Thanks guys,also can't seem to find any info on the timimg gear brand.Looks like "VESLITE".Any ideas?...

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »

I would assume it is WESTLITE , same manufacturer of performance pistons.

regards

Weddo
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »

I have a vague memory 1/4 race cams were similar to "towing" cams whereby the grind was for more torque at low revs and still running standard carby.

Red & white is alright
Penguin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »

Good score Jamie. That must have made you smile. I've posted a link of an fc with a 1/4 race cam just installed - a little lumpy but quite nice
http://youtu.be/mndGpYTPSHE  Shocked Grin
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »

The old 1/4, 1/2 and full race cams are terms that are long gone, I've got a collection of early 60's Australian Hot Rod and Rodding Review and when you read them thats how they described the cams. Engines were called "mills" and no "mill" was complete unless it had twin or triple "jugs" Wink

Mick Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: