FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Soda blasters - Ballarat - Adelaide or Melbourne  (Read 10522 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »

Pretty much thinking of next stages, soda balsting. Has anyone used any folk, particularly in Ballarat as first preference and/or can recommend anyone in the other places please.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »

If you are going to travel, it's worth looking into Minus Paint (http://www.minuspaint.com.au).
They can dip a whole car in their tanks (alkaline solution) to remove all the paint, they also de-rust then etch prime.
AFAIK soda blasting won't get rid of the rust.

GMVAN

Model: FC

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

I had a panel beater mate who had his LH torry dipped in (something) and he had nothing but trouble with rust coming through over the next few years where you could not get paint into places where the metal is sandwhiched together ,compared to blasting which only removes the paint that can be resprayed again.

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »

I had a panel beater mate who had his LH torry dipped in (something) and he had nothing but trouble with rust coming through over the next few years where you could not get paint into places where the metal is sandwhiched together ,compared to blasting which only removes the paint that can be resprayed again.

Yeah, I've heard that fairy story too, so how did the factory do it  Huh

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »

Stinky In Sydney FC's were half body dipped in a special primer which got inside all the hidden cavities. Didn't happen in Melbourne so inner cavities were bare metal.

Ken
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »

THERE'S A GUY IN HEIDELBERG IN MELB HE'S OLD SKQQL SAND BLASTING.HE USES LOW PRESSURE FINE SAND.HE'S A PRO.FROM GT'S ,TO BATHURST MONARO'S,THEY HAVE DONE IT ALL.MY MATE JUST PICKED UP HIS FC SEDAN LAST WEEK.I'M SURE IF YOU WANTED TO VIEW THE CAR IT WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM AFTER THEY BLAST THEY ETCH/PRIME THE WHOLE CAR.OK.   HOPE IT HELPS.OK.
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »

I had my complete car done at Adelaide fast blast.  Steve the owner used both soda and sand.  Serves into fc's too.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »

GMVAN has a worthy point, i think it depends on what the company might be using. There would be spots that the rinse would not get out perhaps. Mine is stuffed anyway all the bottom panels and that will be coming out and replaced. I am thinking a mixture of both sand and soda cos one size wont fit all. that dipping is $1500 for the car body alone. If Im going to be replacing so much of the body anyway i am not sure if sand blasting would be the go, i think so.

Fink, who is the Heidleburg guy, the business name? Ill go to see that bloke in Radelaide too, the one who does both.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:15 AM »

BLASTOFF .GUYS NAME IS PETER . PH 94551366.OK.
Ruby_Tuesday
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »

Bit late with this but we have been using this young bloke based in Melbourne's west.  He is mobile or you can go to him.  Worked Saturdays for us and did what we asked.  Can't comment on his pricing as we did a deal for 4 cars and a Kenworth for soda plus some sand blasting.  Not a quick process. Each car took several hours and you need an acre block with good neighbours or a paddock.  By the time he finishes it looks like a snow storm.
PRO STRIP http://www.prostripsodablasting.com.au       Domonic: 0403 465 157
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:56 PM »

thanks heaps

Deano

GMB-58FC

Model: FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

I looked into setting up a new blasting/stripping facility here in Tassie a while ago but the gear is so expensive for everything needed with initial start up and at the time another bloke had just done the same.

The old man ended up obtaining a smaller closed unit and booth to do our own work which takes a little while longer but a hell of a lot cheaper than paying someone else and our own time frame.  The other advantage is I can do a panel at a time from start to finish rather than the entire car.

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: