FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:21:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holden FC 215 - Ascot Grey  (Read 60670 times)
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37:47 PM »

Sorry, but i get really interested in this type of car.

So do I!, Sorry to divert from the thread, but is it a EK 235 on the build tag? It appears to have "Special" badges. I have never seen one in a metallic though.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »

I think there were (as usual) 2 suppliers of tail light lenses and they fade differently . Some fade to clear and others fade to orange. For a long time I had an orange lens which I had removed and it was still red around the edges where it was covered by chrome trim.
Through it out a few years ago.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »

Thanks Steve. The paint certainly came up well and looks like an EJ colour. What were the other differences from a special? Where did you find it, and was there only 1 built,how did you find out about it?
Cheers,
Graham

Graham,

There's a lengthy thread with lots of pics and the car's story on the FB-EK Forum.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »

Thanks Ret,
Makes very interesting reading. Where did you find it Steve.
Cheers,
Graham
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »

Have to agree, what a great find Steve, would like to see it when you have time

Gary
Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
+1

Thanks Steve. The paint certainly came up well and looks like an EJ colour. What were the other differences from a special? Where did you find it, and was there only 1 built,how did you find out about it?
Cheers,
Graham

Hi Graham, apologies on the delay. Been resting a cold in bed for three of four days Sad

Here are the differences for memory from the usual EK Special.

1. Euroa Gold Metallic Paint.

2. Painted (Saturn) Gold Dash top.

3. Painted Gold inner window dividers.

4. Golf Ball Hood Lining.

5. Three chromed clamps on inner top of windscreen ?

6. Power Steering

7. White steering wheel.

8. Radio

9. Heater / Dimister

10. Two speed whipers.

11. Dual Horns.

13. Washer Wipers.

14. Door Arm rests front and rear.

15. Seat Arm rests front and rear.

16. Cloth seats.

17. Carpet.

18. Glovebox light.

19. Boot Light.

20. Chrome door scuff plates.

21. Thumb press dress rims.

22. Power Boosted brakes.

23. EJ style "low coil mount"  side plate

24. EJ "top ledge" radiator.

25. Alloy Rocker cover (was painted metallic Gold with Metallic Green oil cap)

26. Day / Night mirror.

Without being next to the car, can't think of anything else Smiley

The car was in the centre of Melbourne since 1975 (Near Victoria Markets) That where I picked it up.

Car was registered May 3 1961 for Harlow W Gage, General Manager of Holden with plate GMH-000. The current plates were fitted 15 May 1962.

Steve

Factory Paint FB and EK's wanted.
Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »

So do I!, Sorry to divert from the thread, but is it a EK 235 on the build tag? It appears to have "Special" badges. I have never seen one in a metallic though.

Hi Keith, I was informed by an ex employee of Holden, that when this car was built the name "Premier" had not been put forward. Though, "Super Special" did come later and was almost lock in, until at the last minute. Then Premier was decided to be the name.

First factory Metallic I have seen on the exterior of an EK Smiley

Here is the ID plate ....

Keith

Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »

I think there were (as usual) 2 suppliers of tail light lenses and they fade differently . Some fade to clear and others fade to orange. For a long time I had an orange lens which I had removed and it was still red around the edges where it was covered by chrome trim.
Through it out a few years ago.

Ken

Very interesting Ken. Having a look at the lights on the FC they do appear darker around the edges. However, in the case of FB's, I have a new lens in the box Orange! All the original low milage Nitro FB's I have seen have had Orange tail lights, unless changes.

Steve

Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »

Thanks Ret for the link ....

Steve

Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »

Have to agree, what a great find Steve, would like to see it when you have time

Gary

You are welcome anytime Gary!

Steve

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »

Steve, do you mean FB's had orange stop / tail light lenses? I am not great on FB EK but I thought they both had red lenses - and the indicator lens was orange.

Ken
Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 10:21:33 PM »

Steve, do you mean FB's had orange stop / tail light lenses? I am not great on FB EK but I thought they both had red lenses - and the indicator lens was orange.

Ken

Hi Ken, yes, the stop light lenses were amber, not as orange as the indicator lenses. That changed with the switch to Acrylic, like the Gold Lion Horn button.

Have you checked out my list on FB-EK ID plates? we should add our lists together Smiley

Steve

DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

Awesome find Steve, it has come up really well.
Congratulations,
                      Dean.
oldgry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »

Hi, I also have an ascot grey standard FC. Love the look of the 215's as they seem to stand out more than the specials. Mine looks just like yours only with whitewalls and spats. I brought it quite a few years back from this forum so some on here would know of it.

Cheers Rick
Cooper

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »

up for sale

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/L956Y513CE8ABD2O

Just luv cuttin' the grass,,,
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

You buy a lotta Gold chains if it gets top$$$$$$ Grin Grin
sunnytim

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »

Ken

Ken, I have seen a few very late FC's with Amber Stop Lenses that definately were not faded.  A friend of mine had one in the late 80's early 90's (original low mileage car) that had these fitted.  I have seen an article (I thought it was a 1960 Service Bulletin but it is not in the index in my collection) that discussed the phasing out of the amber lense on the FB and mentioned its introduction in late 59.  Apologies I can't find it, but from what I recall there were changes to Vic legislation that GMH appiled nationally.  THis only lasted a couple of months and the bulletin discussed replacement with red lenses.  Finding amber lenses on early FB's is very rare today because (even today) people change them as they believe they are faded.  Like Steve I have a NOS FB amber lense in the box.  It has the same part number as a later lense, but it is definitely orange and brand new.  Cheesy
It would be worthwhile looking closer ay people's collections of lenses from late FC's and I bet one turns up also  Cheesy
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »

re the orange tail light lenses..... my November 1956 FE (Adelaide build) had orange tail light lenses.  They were definitely not faded and, given my car's history, I know they had never been replaced. They were replaced with red ones when I changed to wide whites and red rims as they better suited the overall look of my car.  Smiley

NosFEratu
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »

The bulletin is H150G from Oct 59 and refers to the change of the clear back up lamp to orange - this coincided with the change to orange indicators - nothing to do with orange brake lights.
I have never seen an orange brake lens other than those that have faded from red. There is no documentation that I have seen supporting their existence and logically I cannot see why GMH would do 2 different colours

Ken
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »

I'm sorry Ken, there may not be any documentation but I know what was on my car from the factory. When my original tail lights were removed both John and I inspected them carefully and there was no evidence to suggest they had faded from red. I have not bothered to enter into discussions about orange brake light lenses before because, in all honesty, it's just not worth it..... I know my car and John knows my car - no-one else does. I'll leave it at that and hope you all have a nice day.  Smiley

NosFEratu
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: