FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 08:31:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Generator  (Read 6299 times)
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »

Silly question maybe.

But my generator was sort of flickering in the charge side as i have a wilsonia guage.

Now it is reading in the negative with the lights on ect so its obviously not charging.

i will put a multi meter on the generator tommorow but as it was flickering it makes me think its the reg.

where do i start Huh

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »

look at the brushes in the generator

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »

Can u get rid of that for something better Ken? are the replacement brushes better than the originals? I would have thought so with technology etc.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »

FC Hoon

You are on the right track by suggesting that you check the voltage output from the generator first, if that proves to be around 10 to 12 volts at idle and then increases the voltage output as the engine revs are raised all is good with the generator. If the voltage output from the generator fails to rise to or above 13 volts the problem will most likely be as per Ken's advice which is the first symptom of generator failure due to worn brushes, which is not a hard nor major fix provided the armature is still in a good and clean condition.  If the generator tests OK the next step would be to check the output at the regulator if that also shows a similar voltage differential then check the battery connections for good contact and security.  If however the output voltage from the regulator drops or is lower than 12 volts with the generator testing OK you may need to uncover the unit and inspect the points for signs of burning wear and or sticking which is also rectified reasonably easily, sometimes by simply cleaning the point contacts with a light file or emery cloth.  Either way after you have solved the problem check the voltage to the battery when the engine is above idle and make sure it is less than 14 volts (13.4 volts being the optimum maximum) otherwise you will cook the battery.  If it is too high you will need to adjust the regulator.

Hope this helps, cheers Wayne
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »

There is this Beastie, FC427 posted a while ago

http://gener-nator.com/details.htm

An alter-gen?

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »

thanks for that i will have a look today i had a similar issue with my tractor the other week what fool thought of positive to earth turned the battery around and off she went shame this is not the problem . I have cleaned contacts with emery paper and contact cleaner .

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »

Thanks Zulu

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »

Ok so its not the bushes fitted new ones today and still not a Volt from the old girl so im guessing the ameture is gone.

I will ring a few mates that i know that have these old goodies in their shed.

I was invited to a old blokes house today but everything he had was Bosch so im not changing the old girl over so i might try re build my generator by getting another one and taking the armeture out as it is very very worn .

Pete

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

Sometimes armature fault can be simply a build up of copper waste in between the brush contacts. Cleaning the area between the brush contacts can sometimes fix the problem simply

Ken
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »

Yes I remember back in my apprenticeship days of running the hacksaw blade between the segments on the armauture to undercut the insulator.
 Grin Grin
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »

I remember back when my pop used to change picture tubes in tellies ...... ha ha..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »

Good to go

i replaced the generator apparently it had a EJ one and a EK reg so its all FC lucas in it now and charging.

Took her for hot laps today  will throw a few pics up.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »

i went out and spoke to mine today (Blue FC), he said he is glad his siter is up and runnin g again  Cheesy................... Roll Eyes

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: