FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:34:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Holden Sedan "Black and White Taxi Service Co-Operative" restoration  (Read 188685 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
+1

The house where the car was painted has a few large driveways, visible on Google earth. Interesting.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
zl296

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 11:41:41 PM »
+1

deano,the old neerim south f.c taxi,is sitting out in a paddock at willow grove.
want me to chase a contact number for you... Wink

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
Stash
nsw-club

Model: FC

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 12:54:36 AM »

Lookin good.
As they say if you're gonna do something, you might as well do it properly.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »

deano,the old neerim south f.c taxi,is sitting out in a paddock at willow grove.
want me to chase a contact number for you... Wink

If you are saying what I think you are, I think i will pass. I gotta get focussed  Cheesy

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »

Hi Dean,
In the 1952 directory the listing is Black & White Taxi Service, 181 Pirie St. Adelaide,
but Hackham was a country town by rail 21 miles south.
There was a mrs A.S Williams and mr R.R Williams and he was listed as a farmer.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »

Yep i know about pirie street but we are talking ten years later. He may have registered it at hackham for some reason but the taxi licence gives same address. They used to hire cars out too in those days.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »

Got a fair bit of stuff from the blasters again today, tomorrow I pick up the boot and bonnet where I am getting some tricky areas done but not the flats of course. These doors have some small holes in the usual places like seams etc but not too bad. I am glad I did them because now I know what I have got!  Tongue

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »

Was a nice warm day today so I got stuck into some painting. I found this GMH black, looks better than the high gloss I reckon, I really like the matt finish. I have some gloss here too but I think I'll stick with this. Painted all the suspension parts and springs, have ordered all the front end parts, just sussing out the bushes, some have the little ridges still, only 1 small one doesn't so I think I could use them again but perhaps Ill put all new ones in so I know what I have. I have floor pans, a couple of peaks and rust panel repair sections. Hope it stays warm later next week, I'll start cutting and patching, when I am sick of that I'll get some suspension therapy.

Deano

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »

Deano, they all do look the part. Your at a very similar stage to muself, however you are going much faster in the right direction. Looking good.

Regards

Wayne b
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »

I started getting old bloke pains so I finished up. I think that's as far as I will go with these doors in terms of stripping, a few chips need feathering out but seems solid and ok, so just some metal to go into these little spot on back door and some pitting and small holes on the other side and she is pretty good. Bloody hell I am loosing weight which isn't a bad thing either! It's nice when you take 50 years of grease, oil and dirt and bring it back to almost new.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

My other build page is the Breton Blue v8 Sedan project for those who are interested.

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »

Deano,(got it right this time) I used a blue nylon rippa strippa disc to get all my paint off, they come in 4&5 inch for angle grinders and work a treat. Tokk about 1/2 hour to do inside & out, all you need to do is guide the grinder around and the disc does the rest.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »

I got me some of those, but I don't think it will be necessary to go back to complete bare metal on these as the foundation is quite good, but if anyone can explain the merits of always going back to complete bare metal, I'll be glad to hear opinions. I started working on filling the doors. I fixed a 2 inch groove in this and filled it. Came up ok.

Started doing this to the other side, but I think I'll have to patch the rest. Just did the corner  a few inches so if I do a patch it can be a triangle shape.

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

looking good Deano, I've asked my panel shop customers that question and the response was depending on the amount of old paint and it's condition will determine the way to go. By rubbing back the paint you need to make sure you feather out all the rub throughs and repairs fullyso you have a smooth finish from which you can undercoat and then top coatand you should'nt have any problems with sink back. If you have a lot of old paint or really poor paint then go back to bare metal and then metal prep and ecth prime, undercoat and top coat the main thing with bare metal is you have no imperfections that can come back and bite you later on. If you are happy to rub your doors back just give them a couple of coats of high fill primer and block them back smooth before you top coat them.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »

Patched a bit which when grinded a bit more ended up being a canyon with bog! So here tis. Bit hard with flash in bad light.

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »

Just a trick fix the inside bit first so you can get to it to clean it up and may have to tap it out a bit to grind it.

Also if you get some deoxidine and wipe the crusty looking rust on the inside will help.

Also for smaller holes get some copper and put it behind where ya gunna weld if you dont have any msg me i have copper bus bar offcuts we use in our switchboards.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2011, 03:36:35 PM »

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming. I will do the inside first on the next door. Here is the pic I was suppose to put up.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »

In hind site I perhaps should have like you said, done the small patch on the back corner bit where that bad rust is right through, this would have pulled it down towards the ground as it sits on the stand, giving a larger one piece patch more strength and less tendency to wanna flare the bottom if not careful with the heat and where I tack. I bet you come across a lot of guys in your field that just blaze away and don't think logically when planning such things. I know some young fabricators who have never done small tin or this type of thing before. How should I use the copper?

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »

You put copper behind the hole and weld onto the copper to fill a hole and the weld wont stick to copper .

Sorta like putting tape behind a hole and filling it with bog if you get my drift.

The apprentiice uses it lots to fill in hinge holes in boxes when he cocks them up.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »

Ok cool. I should be able to get some copper but if i can't Ill ask you with a PM.

Deano

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: