FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 03:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel tank and rear boot section - what's normal rust wise?  (Read 2253 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »

Hi

I finally got the rear end cleaned up and stripped of crap and noticed that although the front of the car underneath has a fair deal of rust, the top of the tank and wheel wells are really solid. Is this normal? Was a country car in dry climate. Looks like the front is so bad as it was driven on dirt roads etc.

What is common for thios area?

Cheers

Deano.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »

It's not really common for a sedan to rust in the boot area. The spots prone to rust in a sedan rear are the lip underneath the boot rubber along the beaver panel, the bottom of the beaver panel under the lead joins below the tail lights, the small gap in between the beaver panel and the reinforcement across the boot, and lastly the wheel well.
Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »

wheel well is also good. i think i am happy that all this rear end section is quite solid cos i want to put a strengthening kit of some sort and wanted new floor pans anyway. front subframe looking solid the more i take off. gotta be happy with that. just out of inbterest, under the lh front guard there seemed to be a spacer or a rubbery seal to stop rubbing but the rh side doesnt have this. when i put back together, shouldnt there be inserts or welting to stop panels rubbing? was this done to originald please,

cheers.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:30:56 PM »

Hey Deano
The rubber you describe is part of the original door rubber.
Replacement door rubbers do not have this section.
Some have sorted out a replacement for this section from sheet rubber, but I think most do not replace and go without.
Regards
Alex

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »

Thanks Alex. Some things make sense to have and others seem a bit odd. i suppose some welting is so that metal dont rub on metal.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: