FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:04:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stereo wiring headache  (Read 7462 times)
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »

Hi guys, got a prob with my stereo instantly blowing the fuse whenever I hook up power regardless of switch position.
I have checked and traced both the ign and memory wires back to fuse panel, all good, no bare or broken wires.
The earth is solid and is shared ( only to the bolt) by other earth wires, all good.
I recently bought an aftermarket sereo harness and a new head unit . All wires are correctly pinned so there is no crossovers or anything like that. But for the life of me I can't figure out why.
The only difference between the new and old harness is that there are now two blue wires one for antenna other for amp power where there was only a shared wire. Surley this could not blow the main stereo fuse Huh I never had any problems with old head unit.....   
I now have the whole dash ripped out and all wire cables cut so I can trace wires. It's a bloody mess again.

While we are on wiring when the ignition is switched to acc should the dash idiot lights be on.
It is a nos ign switch.

Thanks

Dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »

go back to the basics rip it out get a battery power it up red is normally memory always on yellow is ignition is your black something is going on and shorting it somewhere.
That blue amp wire dissconect it and come off the yellow to power your amp not the blue?

Yes in the acc position all idiot lights should be on as there is no generator running and no oil pressure and not overheating.

I reckon that amp wire is stuffing you up somewhere?

Could be worse i have been trying to get a old tractor going for a couple of days then the father in law tells me they are positive to ground only a  pom could think of this.

Pete

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »

Thanks Pete, vie gone right back through everything. The stereo memory (battery) fuse is the one that goes, it is shared by the clock power, I don't have a clock so I used that power to supply power to tacho. It just happened to be a spare hot wire.......... In writing this I think may have it, maybe?
I disconnected the coil awaiting more engine bits going in. But I have made sure the coil neg is not touching  anything metallic could the fact i have the coil unhooked be creating a short or open circuit? As the tacho is of course hooked up to coil pos.

By having the coil hooked up to constant power this would probably explain an open circuit I have been trying to locate when battery was previously hooked up Undecided

What's your opinion?

Thanks heaps
Dean

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »

But I have made sure the coil neg is not touching  anything metallic could the fact i have the coil unhooked be creating a short or open circuit? As the tacho is of course hooked up to coil pos.

By having the coil hooked up to constant power this would probably explain an open circuit I have been trying to locate when battery was previously

Oops that should read coil neg Roll Eyes

Doh!

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »

I agree with Pete - go back to basics. Take 2 wires from your battery, one with a switch in line. Hook them up to your stereo and take the stereo earth direct to the other side of the battery. Only connect the aerial, 1 set of speaker wires and nothing else. Stereo should work.

Ken
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »

YAY VERRILY YAY Grin Grin

all sorted guys thanks for the replies.
Went all the way back and rewired, retied and rerouted the whole lot.
Retied everything from the fuse box.

Seems what was causing was one of two thing, I had the tacho hooked up to a live wire instead of switched. The same circut as the stereo battery.
Had the amp remote power hooked up to power ant. New system has separate wires for both.

Looks like my elcheapo amp is going to get tossed.

Now just to put the seat back in and it's looking pretty again.

jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »

Now just to put the seat back in and it's looking pretty again.

so is that when we get the pichers, Smithy??  Wink

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »

Sorry Jack, home computer is on the fritz and I can't upload pikchas on the bloody iPad thingy.
Patience my friend all good things come. Wink

Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »

so is that when we get the pichers, Smithy??  Wink

Look here.  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hooded-Pitcher-Plant-Sarracenia-minor-20-Seeds-/380287291367?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item588ae38fe7

Otherwise, here's a taster. 

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »

There you go jack Wink

Thanks for putting up the pitchers spinner Grin

jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

geez, smithy; you certainly have made a few changes to your interior since I last saw it...  Wink

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »

I always find with anything not coming together,  do what hoon said, but go inside, crack a bourbon and coke and look at it with fresh eyes a bit later. it may also help to stop at 1 coldy before re attempting anything  Cheesy

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 06:20:52 PM »

don't do what i did along time ago and put a bigger fuse in to fix the problem. What happened you might ask, well after a week everything running great and I picked up a girl for a date smoke came out from under the dash and yes the dash caught on fire. I ended up pulling the battery terminal off but it was too late.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

I always find with anything not coming together,  do what hoon said, but go inside, crack a bourbon and coke and look at it with fresh eyes a bit later. it may also help to stop at 1 coldy before re attempting anything  Cheesy

I learnt that lesson a long long time ago, and yes if you spend hours trying to figure out a problem walk away or do something else and before you know the answer will present itself. Wink
Oh and one maybe two bourbons certainly helps Grin

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »

hmmmm must have been one bloody hot date! are u sure it was on fire or u just thought u were ha ha  Cheesy

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: