FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:27:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: id matching?  (Read 2266 times)
customholden

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »

Hi guys this is the decoding of my id numbers. Just questioning the body was built in Adelaide and the chassis assembled in brisbane? does this mean it was built in 2 different places or has the front end chassis been changed? How do i find out if the engine is the original for the car?

FC-219-2149-A Vehicle is an FC Standard Station Sedan, the 2,149th manufactured in Adelaide, SA.
352-667 The Exterior Trim Code (352) describes this car as Single-Tone: Cape Ivory.
The Interior Trim Code (667) refers to: Fall Red.
256-2158  The paint colour is Cape Ivory (in DUCO Lacquer)
8-10100-B The vehicle was assembled during 1958, and was the 9,100th FC (in any bodystyle) assembled in Brisbane, Queensland.
L511670 Manufacture date (based on engine number) is October 1958
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »

I am pretty sure all the bodies were made in Adelaide (perhaps apart from front end clip) and shipped to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth for assembly. Keith would know. The front could come from anywhere, so you could really have an originally Sydney assembled car for all you would know with a different front on it now (if it was crashed in its early days), but that is less likely I believe in a place as remote as QLD as many of these cars tended to stay in the local area due to the state of the roads back in the day.

This article is good and correlates to a little history lesson I had when I toured Mitsubishi and Holden plants as a kid!

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Holden

I grew up in Adealide and remember going to the Woodville plant in Adelaide. On the tour, I remember the ole guy saying that it was expensive to make the actual bodies for the cars (tooling) and this was done In Adelaide and then other parts were made in Melbourne, but the other states all "assembled" the cars except for the states I have not mentioned above. This may be wrong though, so I'd rather someone else who has been into this stuff longer than me correct what I have said if need be.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
+1

FC wagons and vans were only made in Adelaide and Melbourne because they were the only 2 plants with big enough presses for the roof panel. The Adelaide plant was the biggest so most bodies came from there - they were made up to the firewall & freighted to other plants for assembly. So Adelaide bodies were used in SA, WA, QLD and NSW, whilst the Melbourne plant supplied Vic and Tas. As with all rules there are exceptions as I have seen Victorian cars with Adelaide bodies.

On the other hand sedans and utes were made at Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. The Adelaide production served SA & WA, the Sydney plant served NSW & QLD and the Melbourne plant served Vic and Tas.   Once again there are exceptions.

Ken
customholden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »

Sweet thanks for the info guys. very helpful. It looks like my wagon is all original motor and all.just need to check with the rego history now.

Thanks
Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: