FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:26:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: whats the best exhaust to use  (Read 9290 times)
Jordo
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »

I am after some advise regarding the best exhaust system to use on my FE,  I have a 202 red motor, manual 5 speed, hurricane headers are fitted, but I am after advise on the rest, what tube diameter to use, muffler type, over or under the diff, single or twin exhaust, I am after a nice sound and better performance.

Cheers

Craig
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

I run a Single 2 1/2" over the diff with a 16" body sports muffler ......FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »

I run a Single 2 1/2" over the diff with a 16" body sports muffler ......FC427....

and that's about perfect.....   if you want to be a noisy young lout like FC427  Wink

(I'm a respectable senior citizen; I added an 18" 'hotdog' resonator to what he's got, and it's still way over legal decibels in Vic  Cool Grin)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »

and that's about perfect.....   if you want to be a noisy young lout like FC427  Wink

(I'm a respectable senior citizen; I added an 18" 'hotdog' resonator to what he's got, and it's still way over legal decibels in Vic  Cool Grin)

Jack respectable my butt , and thanks for being so sensitive to the DISABLED  I'm 60% deaf and I thought it was quiet  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »

Craig (Jordo)

With my 192, 4speed I ran a single 2inch and split over rear axle into down pipes behind the rear wheels.

Looked good and sounded great as sound bellowed in under car as well.

Just another consideration.

Cheers

Craig D
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »

Jordo, if your 202 is relatively stock bar the extractors, you may find 2 1/2" too big. Pipe diameter needs to be matched to each particular motor with regard not only to its capacity but also its extent of modifications. Too large is just as bad as too small... This also seems to apply to mufflers; a stock engine seems to need much smaller length/number of mufflers to achieve a given decibel level compared to a highly modded engine of same capacity (I found that a 2.5" muffler that was VERY loud on my modded 202 sounded fine on my shitty old daily with a near-stock 350 SBC)
Also, I've found that fitting a tailpipe with larger diameter than the rest of the system might look good, but actually seems to sound worse...
(not to mention those people fond of fitting 'jam tins' on the end of their system  Roll Eyes)
All of the above are observations collected over many years of sometimes stupid modifying by a very much 'bush mechanic'; I'm sure there are many others on this forum far better qualified to give you good advice...

cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »

I have warm 202 with 4 speed. Exhaust recommendations. Firstly no one likes the drone at cruze so don't go 2 1/2 unless 100% race car. I have 2 1/4 (manderal bend if you can afford it) with fiberglass race luky muffer and no drone. get long and thin muffler, fit towards the diff (option to add another muffler at exit if you need it quiet) with xu1 headers or tri extractors with single out the back tucked up close to the body so its not on show with end slight bend towards the road. Its clean, legal, no drone, barks, and works.
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »

with single out the back tucked up close to the body so its not on show with end slight bend towards the road. Its clean, legal, no drone, barks, and works.

perth_ute probably means something like this-

(personally, I believe exhaust systems are the opposite to kids - they should be heard but not seen... )

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:48:25 PM by stinky » Logged

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »

You can't go past the KENRICH JET EXHAUST TIP

Raw 50's POWER  Shocked

Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »

Hey Jordo
Don't be soft you don't need an exhaust unnecessary weight more performance without:)

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: