FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Security  (Read 16224 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »

Does anyone have any tips for beefing up security with FE/FCs? Of course I will be careful where I go and when, but there will be times when I have to leave the car parked in public and would like some assurance that it will at least be a little harder to steal than a stockie.

Just40
qld-club

Model: FE

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »

rottweiler on front seat. Cool

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »

i use to take the rotor button out of the dizzy.

Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:22:51 AM »

on my fc wagon i have a nasco gear lock, other than that nothing on them. i have thought of putting in kill switches but like you said stinky i watch where and when i leave any of my cars.

mc54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »

This is what I have in mine - a $10 battery isolator from Repco. Very simple but when you remove it the post looks more or less like a normal negative battery terminal.
The only drawback is that you lose all your radio settings, but I figure that is a small price to pay for a bit of security.

Regards
Mike
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »

This is what I have in mine - a $10 battery isolator from Repco. Very simple but when you remove it the post looks more or less like a normal negative battery terminal.
The only drawback is that you lose all your radio settings, but I figure that is a small price to pay for a bit of security.

Regards
Mike

If you were to run a separate wire before the isolator to the radio, you wouldn't lose your settings..... Still wouldn't be able to start the car.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:12:23 AM »

My Fe has a battery isolator its all bakerlite and very old i was told it was a factory option is this correct?>Huh

Looks similar to the green one above.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »

Thanks Mike and Keith (and everyone else, I used to do the dizzy rotor thing when I had my Torrie, I also did it to mate's Torries  Grin ),
I actually have one of those isolators that I was supposed to fit to our ride-on mower but never got around to it  Roll Eyes

jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »

Stinky, I have the same isolator as Mike and a seperate wire for the cd as Keith suggested. Works fine, specially as my battery is in the (locked) boot.
I also have another hidden switch inside that isolates power to the electric fuel pump even when the battery is turned on.
Have also removed the H/T lead from the coil sometimes as an added precaution...
Unfortunately, determined tea leaves can still just put your car on a truck/trailer if they really want it  Roll Eyes Cry

cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »

A friend in Darwin who owned a particularly nice car had a sticker made up for the drivers quarter vent window -

"the owner of this car is probably watching it through a telescope...

FITTED TO A .308 RIFLE"

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

Unfortunately, determined tea leaves can still just put your car on a truck/trailer if they really want it  Roll Eyes Cry

As I found out at the start of this caper, locked car parked in front of the servo, the Towie I booked just loaded it up and didn't need to wait for me to arrive with the keys  Undecided

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »

As I found out at the start of this caper, locked car parked in front of the servo, the Towie I booked just loaded it up and didn't need to wait for me to arrive with the keys  Undecided

Well if you don't like Rotweillers then how about one of these

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »

Seriously, the best idea is a hidden switch to an electric fuel pump or the ignition or something like that, at least it will stop the joy riders, but you might not have much luck against the professionals

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »

Effcee I think he looks to cute to be scary i would want to get in just to give him a pat

Cheers Damo58

Iam good just ask me Smiley
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »

Damo,

You would be licked to death......

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
EKjimmy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »

If this is for the fc van you should maybe put a lock on the passenger door for starters  Cheesy
 My ignition coil is moved inside the cabin on the inside of the firewall hidden by a sheet (which was originally going to be a trimming board under the dash-never got around to it)
 The ignition has several isolator switches and is in the ashtray compartment, and central locking isolates battery power as well when the doors are locked.
 Not unstealable-but really not many cars are with the right stuff. It'll slow em down though!

Ideally if i had the money i'd go with one of those alarms that detects the car being tilted, bumped hard or doors, boot or bonnet being opened. Coil on the inside of the firewall, maybe an isolator switch for starter or coil power, and switch for fuel pump if it was electric.
 Or even better, a shotgun rigged up aimed at a scumbag's head!

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Jimmy

She's not leaking, she's marking her territory

Jimmy
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

wow Sully's a tiny bit bigger than the 1st photo I ever saw of him!  Shocked Cheesy

NosFEratu
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »

You never stop the professionals, but in a similar idea to effcee, you can fit a electric fuel cutoff relay (used on LPG conversions) at the tank, have a hidden switch to turn it on/off, take power from anything thats switched on with the ignition, this will allow the car to be started but will quickly run out of fuel.  The switch could be in the boot, only need to use it when your not happy with where you park. A tad inconvenient if you forget to turn it on but, but its a fairly simple to do.
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »

I might get the LPG guys to fit a kill switch for the gas when it gets hooked up, it'll be a straight gas setup so it's all good.

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:27:46 PM »

i used to have some dodgey associates pretty much all of the above only slowed them down and that was only slightly best defence was chain wrapped around clutch and brake pedals or steering or gearstick
unfortunately if they really want it it will go not even living in it will save it
had a mate that boobey trapped his car and end up in jail for it Shocked
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: