FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 05:21:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 132 or 138?  (Read 2793 times)
kelnic

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »

without removing the head and measuring cylinder size, how do i know if i have a 132 motor in my 1958 fc as the previous owner told me it has? Huh
cheer scott

evanston, south oz
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »

Hi Scott

Essentially you can find out what the engine was from factory by checking the engine number. If it has a "B" or "J" prefix at the beginning of the engine number it left the factory as a 138. If there is just a straight number, a "L" prefix or a "U" prefix then it left the factory as a 132.

Also from time to time engines come up with a totally different engine number for example, if it starts with an N and ends with a P then the number was given by the NSW police and will have had the original number erased.

To further complicate matters, if the engine was originally a 132, when reconditioned, it was quite a common practise to put standard 138 pistons into the early grey motors which made them 138. If it has evidence of being reconditioned, particularly if it was a Repco Goldstar engine then it may well be 138.

So, in answer to your question, the best rule of thumb is to check the engine number, at least it will indicate what it left the factory as. If you still want to look further then your only option is to take the head off and measure the bore.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
kelnic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »

thanks for the reply,just had a look at the engine no. and it does start with the letter `L` so that makes this a 132,but it has been reconditioned so it could be anything now? i was told it is a canadian block and they are suppose to be a stronger block but i am not sure if this is true or a hoax?

evanston, south oz
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,6557.0.html

Try this or a number of other threads reagarding the "Canadian". You've done it now Grin

Regards

Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: