FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:06:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rach's 1959 FC  (Read 30486 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »

Nice car Rach and welcome to the forum, glad to see you had the good taste to buy an FC Wink

Pedro the Ratbag Roll Eyes

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Dave88

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »

Welcome aboard Rach. That's a great looking car you have there!

Man, I wish I could get my girlfriend interested in classic cars... think of all the projects I could bring home without that guilty kinda feeling  Cool
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »

Thanks guys. Dave, I think my boyfriend wishes I was into motorbikes so he wouldn't feel guilty about the three he owns! (One of which lives in the living room)

I have a question, guys and gals.

I need new brake drums all round, as my mechanic says the current drums aren't able to be machined any more. I did a search here and online, and saw some people speculating that EH drums will fit the FC... was there ever a consensus made about this?

I spotted a pair of FE/FC drums on eBay here, but then I'd still have to hunt down another pair. And I can get new EH ones for the same price, I'll take that route!

Cheers...

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »

There are lot of people doing conversions on their FE FC,s front end ECT put a wanted add for drums there must been tons of them out there.

Pete

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »

I need new brake drums all round, as my mechanic says the current drums aren't able to be machined any more. I did a search here and online, and saw some people speculating that EH drums will fit the FC... was there ever a consensus made about this?

The EH brake linings are wider than the FC so they will not fit unless you change the whole backing plates, from memory diff housings are a little different, and I think the front stubs are different also, so you would have to change them too. A lot of work for little gain.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:57 AM »

bikes in the living room... cool!

welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 08:14:06 AM »

Welcome mate... Cool

They sure don't make cars like they used to...
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

Just a little update. Scored some drums from Ken (mcl1959) which I sandblasted and will spray black tonight with VHT... then she's off tomorrow to the mechanic for (what should be) the final time - overhauling brakes and new kingpins. Last night I had to change the radiator hoses too, after a rat chewed through them (it chewed through the radiator hoses on all 5 cars, and also my battery on my VT, spark plug leads on 2 cars and plenty of other things - we have only caught one rat though, so he/she must have been damn hungry).

Also bought my custom plates this morning... RACH-59 in blue with white writing. And our panelbeater/spraypainter mate is setting up a spray booth in his new garage to do home jobs, and has offered to do my girl first. I like things falling into place.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »

Well done Rach,

Bloody rats get into everything, sorry to hear one got into your cars.

Love the way some things just drop into place, got to be happy with that.

Post some photo's when you get the paint job done

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »

Cheers Keith - we're just thankful they didn't get into the interiors of the FC and XP. They did get into the 1980s Suzuki Carry, but that just adds to the charm.

Forgot to add - side project is a 1950s Kelvinator fridge that I picked up on eBay for $80... need to sand it back, rechrome some parts and get aforementioned mate to paint it red. Slowly converting my house to mid-century too!
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »

I put word out  i was chasing a old fridge they are coming out of the wood work now i have 2 pearlers 1 runs so quiet i bought it off a old lady selling her stuff to go to a home she said $5 i nearlly felly over.

I think i need a new back but bloody heavy.

Have not painted it yet as its working keeping the beer cold.

1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »

$5! Wow, that's a bargain. My back fared pretty well seeing as I took my dad and brother along to do all the heavy work - I just paid them using beer. We've got another old 50s fridge sitting in the dairy, but that needs a lot more work.

FC at the mechanics today... had an interesting drive to the gym in the dark with no dash lights (not that it makes much difference because I drive slow in the old girl anyway, as the speedo is ridiculously inaccurate) but it righted itself when I left. Currently hunting down parts for electric wipers - going the XP wiper motor route (not stealing my boyfriends though... he'd kill me  Grin ).
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »

Any of the commodores work well and they bolt up fairly straight forward.

Just use a headlight switch with a resistor to get your 2 speeds.

mc54

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »

Welcome

Let me start by saying, nice looking FC.

Now something that isn't FC related.
I also have a 1950's Kelvinator, all pink and chrome on the inside. Not really the colours I would have chosen but I got what I got. Anyhow..........the seal on the door was rotten and I found a new one here http://www.antiqueappliances.com/gaskets.htm
They are in Clayton Georgia, it took about a week to get the gasket, you have to make it up yourself, but if you are going to use the refrigerator daily (like I plan to) it may pay to replace this seal.

Mike
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »

Welcome to the Forum
Nice looking car Rach, looks like a good starting point for a restoration-being a complete car and running makes a big difference. 
Just to change the subject, to combat rats in the shed we put rat bait in a few places normally under the bench and shelving where the dog can't get at it and top it up when it goes missing don't have any rat problems since we've been doing that.
Pearlcraft do a fantastic job I highly recommend them, and look forward to more progress pics
cheers
Frank
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »

Forgot to update! My baby is officially on the road. Passed the roadworthy and was registered on Wednesday last week. New kingpins and drums make her a much better drive, but she needs to be lowered a touch. Next items on the list are Pearlcraft wheel, lowering and CD player (going the glovebox route... box speakers under front seat?). Ooh, and I have a fox tail for the aerial! Waiting for the ants to work their magic and eat out the flesh at the moment Grin

Pics coming - once I clean her Smiley
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »

Forgot to update! My baby is officially on the road. Passed the roadworthy and was registered on Wednesday last week.

Yahoo, got to be happy with that, I hope that you are pleased with the result. Wink

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »

Nice car Rach and welcome to the forum, glad to see you had the good taste to buy an FC Wink

Pedro the Ratbag Roll Eyes

A belated welcome from me too Rach.
(Love the avatar btw, really stands out from the crowd on this site, for sure).
I suppose if you can't find an example of the more classy, beautiful older sibling (FE), the younger plainer one, (FC) is a good fall back option....(I suppose) Grin Grin
R.
ps. very nice car (.....for an FC Wink) can't help myself, please don't mind me

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »

Congrats on the rego.
I bet you can't get out from behind the wheel!!
Regards
Alex

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »

Nice car Rach,
3 cheers for getting it on the road
Regards Gary