FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rach's 1959 FC  (Read 30490 times)
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

And you'll have to forgive me for my sometimes utter noob-ness, I'm a girl who is by no means mechanically minded!

Me? I'm a 1940s/50s obsessed web development librarian who pretty much lives vintage.

I bought my 1959 FC almost two years ago to the date, and it's been a slow process (and a comedy of errors) getting her roadworthy. My partner has an XP wagon, and I'd always been interested in classic cars... so it was a no brainer. Purchased as an investment, and I don't care if it takes me 20 years to get her done.

Anyway, pics first.

Standard grey motor, twin carbs, extractors.

Already - removed lowering blocks, bought new tyres, and done rust removal in floorpans / rear quarters.

Currently happening - new king pins and brake overhaul (then it's roadworthy!)

Eventually - respray, rechrome, pearlcraft steering wheel, new carpet and roof lining.
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 07:33:20 PM »

NICE Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cheers
Deano

FE and FC"S rule.
simins
vic-club

Our Toys

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »

Kool

Simon Addison
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »

welcome, rach!
nice FC, mate  Cool Cool
being "by no means mechanically minded" certainly wont earn you any flak around here - only additional help!
and being a girl will certainly endear you to most of us  Smiley

cheers, jack

ps   if you want to impress the girls on this forum as well as the blokes, consider fitting a foxtail to the
      FCs aerial for a start...  Grin

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »

Cheers guys!

Jack, you know what, my brother actually shot a fox and hung the tail up on a fence to dry out for me, but one of the dogs ran off with it! I'll have to get him back on the case.
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 08:10:04 PM »

Cheers guys!

Jack, you know what, my brother actually shot a fox and hung the tail up on a fence to dry out for me, but one of the dogs ran off with it! I'll have to get him back on the case.

please do!!

(otherwise, you'd have to paint that lovely blue and white FC black  Shocked Shocked:Smiley, or worse still; trade it for an FE...  Wink)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »

I love the look, but i am surprised you removed the lowering blocks. I would have thought that it could do with it being lowered. But if that is how you want it, then that's cool too. Gotta love the white walls. Welcome to the Forum and don't be afraid to ask, what you might consider the dumbest questions, because we don't mind answering them.
 Cheers Scotty
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »

Hey Scotty, I had to remove the lowering blocks because they wouldn't have passed the roadworthy (think it had chopped springs too). Right now it's got a pair of original springs in it, but I'll probably lower it a bit down the track. I don't mind it so high though, it's so much more comfortable to drive (what little driving I have managed to do on unreg permits)!

And don't worry, I'll ask stupid questions if I've got em!
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »

please do!!

(otherwise, you'd have to paint that lovely blue and white FC black  Shocked Shocked:Smiley, or worse still; trade it for an FE...  Wink)

Haha, is it wrong that I don't get that reference?!
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »

Haha, is it wrong that I don't get that reference?!

nah, definitely not wrong, and if you hang around here long enough you'll soon understand!
(check out 'nosFEratu' in the members cars section  Wink)

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »

Hey,there's nothing wrong with Black FC/FE's!!!!  Angry...Nice car Rach.(Kathi,Where are you?Comments please...  Wink).Keep up the progress pics,we all love em'Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:51 PM »

Welcome to the forum Rach.   

Congratulations on getting your FC - I'm sure it will be in good company with your partner's Fish Shop. It's nice to see some more FEmales enthusiastic about classic cars.

No question is a dumb question it just means you are at the start of your learning curve. Don't be afraid to ask anything as there will be plenty of people on here more than willing to help (even if it means that some of them check your posts regularly just to see your avatar - no need to mention any names as they know who they are and they are probably feeling a little guilty right now!  Wink)

Anyway, the dead vermin and black FE references are directed at moi! 

Best of luck with your progress and in getting your roadworthy.  Then make sure you cruise the whitewalls off of it - just don't forget to get those blocks back in and hang the tail end of a dead animal off your aerial!  Cheesy

Kathi   

NosFEratu
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Rach,

That is one nice looking ride that you have there! Love the White Walls, It could do with being a bit lower, but i am sure that will come

I look forward to seeing the updates

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »

Oh yeah, and trust me, you will never regret the money you spend on a Pearlcraft wheel!  Wink  

NosFEratu
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »

Thanks Jamie, Kathi and Keith... there will sure be some progress over the next few months, thanks to some extra funds I happened across, so I promise pics.

Kathi, I'm just reading your epic of a thread on NosFEratu (love the name, love the movie). Haha I chose that avatar as it's the most PG one from the whole shoot, so no need to feel guilty boys! And I've already got the brother onto hunting down another fox tail for me while he's up north, so fingers crossed! (Otherwise, I've got a pet lamb that's about to lose her ringed tail if I get real desperate Grin )

I can't wait to get my Pearlcraft wheel - I've been eyeing them off for over a year!
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »

I can't wait to get my Pearlcraft wheel - I've been eyeing them off for over a year!

ONLY A YEAR?  Shocked  Try waiting 20 before you get one!  Cheesy 

It'll be money well spent - you will have a grin from ear to ear everytime you lay your hands on it or see the "colours" in the wheel "flip" in the different light.  They are absolutely beautiful and it will really "complete" your car.  Do you get the feeling I love my steering wheel?  Cheesy

Oh yeah, and my thread would only be about 4 pages if it wasn't for some of my favourite ratbags!  Wink

NosFEratu
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »

Oh and I forgot to mention that the early Falcons can donate some really worthwhile parts for the FC too. Such as the 2 speed Preslite wiper motor that were fitted to some of the XM and XP Falcon, all you need is an EK electric wiper base,  the 2 speed motor from the falcon and it is pretty much a bolt together deal.... Wink

Just don't tell your partner that you are eyeing off his bits and pieces Cheesy Cheesy

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
1950s_rach

1950s_rach
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »

Oh my gosh, 20 years! You certainly deserved it then, Kathi! Anything would be better than mine right now (original, but cracked and deteriorated - it leaves a black sticky residue on your hands after each drive... attractive!)

And Keith, thanks for the tips! Mr 1950s' XP has been sitting very forlorn in the garage for quite some time, so I'm sure he won't notice!  Wink It'll be years before he gets around to restoring it thanks to his modern cars/bikes.

I've just got to be strong and stop buying vintage clothes, so I can get my FC looking beautiful sooner. That's a tough job when you see the price of vintage dresses!
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

Oh yeah, and my thread would only be about 4 pages if it wasn't for some of my favourite ratbags!  Wink

Ratbags? Ratbags? Us? Embarrassed Embarrassed Kiss

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »

Welcome Rach cool car  Cool 8)we will try to make you laugh along the way ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: