FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Frank  (Read 262558 times)
2door350

Model: FE

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »

and, if your buying new wheels you can achieve whatever track you want (clearance permitting) if the offset is chosen wisely.
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »

Josh
Understanding all engineers are different I got my engineer to OK my wheels purely by saying they were to not foul any part of the body. Track did not matter.

Seats without headrests no problems. I did consider putting headrests in if needed but once passed removed the headrest and make up some cover plates either chromed or covered in the same material.

B pillar mounts were fitted by cutting the inner panel bending out slightly then slotting the backing plate and nut then spotting it and then rewelding the panel.

General rule of thumb with tank is to fit bumper and run a string line from bottom of bumper to the rear tyre where it meets the ground. Maybe another option is to space the tank a little higher and shorten the filler neck into top of the tank. This is how I managed to fit my alloy one in.

Keep up the good work and see if there is another engineer who can interpret the rules a little different  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Cheers

Craig D

Keep going mate
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »

Got back up to the workshop aka Torana Town today. Photos speak for themselves, I think  Cool

Brake lines are done  Smiley

The engine is about ready to run. I'm going to run braided hose for a bit of extra bling. The filters are a temporary remedy.  Smiley

Gave Frank a clean - it looks pretty good, and has motivated me to get back into it. Thanks for all the advice and feedback so far. I will be looking for another engineer  Wink

Cheers,

Josh
jwm

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »

Very very nice.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:10 PM »

After a delay of three years, I am absolutely ecstatic to announce that the car RUNS!  Grin Grin Grin
It started after the third attempt and despite the huge cam and Webers, it idles like a kitten. I haven't sorted my exhaust yet - it sounds pretty wild running extractors only. Photos to come - possibly a video  Grin

Cheers,

Josh
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »

Some progress today.

Seats are in:

Front lap sash avaition belts are in:
New filters on (thanks to CraigA for the tip, three years on):
Better view of the Marty Dean tank:
The car as it sits, looking low  Wink:

Cheers,

Josh
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »

I apologise that this isn't a particularly informative post. I suppose there comes a time for us when we question whether we want to continue with our builds.

I'm at this point now. It has soaked up so much time and money - it seems to be a bottomless pit, and I question when enough is enough.

I suppose I will regret selling the car at some point.

- Josh.
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »

This is a great post Josh. No need to apologise. I am interested in the fact you are so close to saving this car, not how informative the post is. I am sure victory will come but it will just be a bit further away.

Keep up the posts and hopefully you get the drive (and money) to finish.

Regards

Wayne B
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »

Josh

All decisions are made based on where we are in life at a particular point in time.  The decision is yours and yours alone as only you know where you are at the moment and where you want to be in the future and how you propose to get there.  Things to consider before you make your decision, not in any particular order.......

- what $ have you invested to this point?
- what is a nominal $ value per hour for your time spent on it to date?
- what $ are you likely to get if you sell it as is?
- if you sell and decide to try and re-create it in the future, what $ would you need to spend?
- what $ will it cost to complete it?
- can you finish it without absolutely everything you really want and then make those changes later?
- do you really want this car or has something else taken your fancy?
- if it's the latter for the above question, are you just frustrated because yours is not finished?

Having met you, I know you are a very smart, talented and determined guy.  The answer to all of the above and many other questions that I have no doubt have asked yourself already can only be answered by you - and - you are only answerable to yourself. 

I know you will make the decision that is right for you at this point in time - and - whatever decision that is, have no regrets and move forwards to where you want to be.  Smiley

Kathi

NosFEratu
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

A recent separation has caused me to question where I want to be in life. There's a catch 22 with cars - at least this car in particular. I want to see it through to the very end, but at the same time, it's money that could be spent on a house deposit.

Building a car out of passion hasn't been a great financial decision, despite how much fun it will be when it's finished.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »

And I wonder whether it's worth more to someone else than it is to me at this point in time - I think it's unrealistic to expect back anywhere near what I've spent on it - that fact alone makes me feel a bit nauseous  Undecided
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »

When I seperated I didnt want to do a thing with my car between trying to save my house and business and also my ex taking my daughter the smartest thing I did was put the car in hibernation out of site out of mind.
but if you need the cash its only a car.

good luck with whatever you decide and hang in there it does get better.

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »

Hi Josh

mmmm it all makes more sense now....... 

We all go through rough patches - some are rougher than others - take some time to really think through things logically.

You will come up with the right answer for you at this point in time - no regrets though Josh.

So sorry to hear about your relationship. 

Kathi

NosFEratu
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »

It's not a great idea to make hasty decisions in times of grief and trauma - I gather that these decisions aren't always the best decisions. My ex partner didn't understand how much the car meant to me, nor the fact that it soaks up large amounts of time and cash. It's one of those things  Undecided
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »

Can't be in your shoes, but I have been through similar with the van and the ute in its infancy... Once you get through the pain, the car is there for you to tinker with, stare at, and of course curse... But most of all if was a distraction for me too and then was a treat when I got it on the road ... This was the van I am talking about.
I don't like giving up of not following through as for me this would be a greater regret.
Good luck with what ever you decide to be the best way forward for you.
JB

Phone +64 223509263
GM

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

I'm glad you finished it Jason  Smiley

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

Like an email to someone you're pissed off with, I'd leave it until the fog lifts.
I appreciate that a roof over your head is a priority, but if you sold the car, how much interest would it save on the loan?
Just throwing a figure out there, $20,000 sale price (remember what it's worth to you is not necessarily what someone else would pay) at say 6% interest is $1200 per year you'd cut down on your repayments by having the cash to put into the loan.
That's $23 per week. Can you cover that cost until things settle down?
Sorry to put a pragmatic rather than emotional slant on it, but that's all you'd save in money by selling.
I know it'd cut me up more than $23 a week's worth to sell mine, and I've got a lot more to go than you before i finish. Read Kathi's list again and see how badly you need the $23 per week.
If storage is an issue I'm sure someone can help out until you get sorted.
And remember, the car never parks itself in someone else's garage and you can drive it every day    Wink
However, you should make the decision you feel most comfortable with and not do what others think you should, or what they say they'd do in the same circumstances.
My 2 bob's worth. Regards, Martyn
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »

So the girl's gone, but the car stays. Here are a few updates:

New steering wheel on:

New tacho dummied up:

New addition almost ready for paint  Wink (thanks Pete):

The engine wiring and bonnet cable have been hidden, but I forgot to take a photo. The diff and rear discs are next to be sorted, and then the car can be driven.

Cheers,

Josh
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »

Hopefully the car gets driven more KM,s than that poor bonnet has done...

Dont miss it tho really dont like the louvre look might have something to do with being stuck on a louvre punch as an apprentice.. switchboards have louvres  Cheesy

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »

Good on you for persisting with the project! I think you will get the distraction you need and the satisfaction when it's done... Win win.

Results are looking good!!

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: