FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 06:20:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I find moon disc hubcaps and whitewalls  (Read 13411 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2003, 11:19:38 PM »

Where can I go to find Moon hub-caps (that cover the entire rim). An example of the hupcap would be Simons light green FC sled. Can someone help me?

Cheers.

Josh.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 11:22:33 PM by Ol_Girl_58 » Logged
craiga
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 11:45:48 PM »

Josh,

Rare Spares has the moon discs in various sizes, and so does John's Rod and Custom (03 97962251).

Cheers,

Craig
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 02:19:12 AM »

yeah,

sorry i didn't get back to you earlier.....

the thing is with these type of hubcaps, no one seems to make them in 13". so you had better think about upgrading to 14" wheels like i have. i am running HK 14" disc brake wheels on my car, but you'll also find that they won't realy bolt up to an hr front end unless you are running dropped spindles. (they foul on the top suspension arms on the hr front because these wheels are inset a long way - though this might depend on what discs you are running. i have LX torana). a friend and i tested these wheels on a standard grey motor front end and found the tie rod ends would foul the tyre as well.

the dropped spindles on an hr front (which lower your car another 50mm, there by raising the centre of the wheel further up between the wishbones and clearing the top suspension arm) are available from rod hadfield, and cost me about $550 around 7 years ago.

then of course, because of the inset of the hk wheels, and the raised wheel centre, the steering arms now foul on the tyre, so the arms that bolt onto the spindles have to be stepped in with spacers to clear everything...  Tongue

i had to do all of this because i really wanted the whitewall and full cap look. i had to use hk wheels with a big inset, because if i didn't, the wheels would not have sufficient room to turn because they would hit the inside of the guard because i run the car low with the wheels tucked up under the lip of the guard (50mm dropped spindles, + 2 1/2" lowered coils.)...

oh, by the way, did i mention that the inner lips of the front guards have to be rolled to give you enough clearance so that when you turn the wheel the tyres aren't shredded?

and, you can't run a grease nipple in the lower balljoint because it hits the rim of the now raised wheel. so you have to whack a flat head bolt in, and put a nipple in for servicing.

not trying to discourage you here by the way! just letting you know that sometimes something that can look so simple, such as whacking on a nice set of hubcaps, can be a bloody nightmare with one thing leading to another. but hey, the end result is worth it!  Grin Grin Grin

ps. to answer your ACTUAL question, i got my caps from rare spares for around $120. they are VERY thin and fragile however, so be super careful taking them on and off!

the whitewalls are actually "port-a-walls" from john's rod and custom and are only available in 14" and 15"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 02:23:38 AM by gree » Logged

simon
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 05:24:28 AM »

There is a rod shop in Adelaide that does 13", 14" and 15" full moons in either Aluminium or stainless, not sure of the price $120 a set I think.
They also do baby moons which apparently fit a 14" HK Rim.

gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 11:29:33 AM »

hey stinky,

do you have the details of that shop? my hubcaps are getting worn out - the tags are bending and snapping. i'd be interested in getting some tougher ones.

thanks

simon
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 11:57:42 AM »

Can't for the life of me think what the damn name is, I'll cruise past tomorrow and get some details for you.

gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 12:45:56 PM »

thanks man, appreciate it  Wink

simon
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 01:54:22 AM »

OK, Here ya go, they only have stainless steel moons for a 14" at the moment, $170:50 for a set of 4 and they will send COD post if you like.

Rod Collins at
Rod-Tech
192 Hampstead Road
Clearview SA 5085

08 8262 3230

http://www.rodtech.com.au
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 01:55:17 AM by stinky » Logged

John Behncke
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2003, 03:48:20 AM »

In relation to the correct 14" wheels, HT rims are offset out further than HK (this explains why HT has a wider track than a HK) and wont hit.  You can get HT rims new as they are very popular for trailers.
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 09:36:25 AM »

We never did find out about white walls though. Are they available anywhere?

BTW, other wheels options would include Volvo rims, aparantly they come in 13", 14" and 15". I have a set of 14" in the Garage, might have to check out the fit. I have also heard some earlier BMW wheels fit too.

FatLucky
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 03:58:22 AM »

I have a set of 13" mooneyes hollywood flipper caps that are as snug as a bug in a rug. tough as  - stainless too so no rust.

No mods needed, just clip n cruise.
et em from mooneyes in the states- would be cheaper shipping em here than getting the work gree's talkin about. ;)  
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 07:58:25 AM »

Can port-a-wall whitewalls be fitted to tubeless radials, or do tubes need to be fitted?

i rang antique tyres in melbourne & they have 13" port-a-walls in stock.  thinking of getting a set for $130 plus $12 postage for the wagon.

I reckon I'll stick with the holden hubcaps for a while.  have decided to lower the rear to match the front, rather than lift the front.  going for that low cruzin look ready for the wintersun festival!

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 08:58:27 AM »

cant answer your question but thats a nice lookin wagon  shayne...but i reckon you already knew that Grin Cool
           cheers   trev(fellow wagon owner)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 09:00:18 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2004, 07:14:29 AM »

Josh
       You can buy 13 inch Moon discs at American Auto Parts (http://www.americanautos.com.au) they are $165.00 for a set of 4.  The product code is RDC01-13.

I am looking to pick some up my self.

Michael
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 10:09:24 PM »

On my old FC and my VE Regal, I ran Porta-Walls with tubeless radials.  All worked well, except for friends complaining aboutthe turkey gobbling noise as we cruised around.

Cheers

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: