FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:34:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: spring rubbers  (Read 3001 times)
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »

Hi all, I have noticed the rubbers on the front of the rear springs on my FC are worn out causing the rear end to hammer on corrugated roads. These were replaced 3 years ago with the rares kit  that included the bolt. The car has only done about 6000 miles since then. I remember they were quite easy to fit compared to the rear hanger rubbers which were the same size (also a rares kit that included the shackle bolts.). So the question is has anyone else had this problem? , were the original rubbers the same size front and rear? are there any better rubbers available?. Thanks, Jack.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »

Jack, if the front rubbers were the same as the rear ones and they were tight in the rear and loose in the front - I would say that your problem is that the eyes in the front of your springs are worn and this is causing the rubbers to fail prematurely.
You may have to remove the springs and check them to confirm this.

I have a set of good wagon springs here which would be of benefit on a sedan as well since they beef up the spring stiffness a bit.

Ken
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:38:18 PM »

i noticed mine (rare spares) were cracked up around the edges after about 6 months but before the car got on the road.
 also noticed my timing cover neoprene seal (acl) was splitting out around the edges before i got the new motor running, dunno if its the environment here or rubber and neoprene is worse now than it was or if rubber and neoprene doesnt like sitting around fitted to the car without being used

FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »

Thanks for that info Ken,
I never thought about the spring eyes, I will check next chance I get, It's a bit hard at the moment as I am using the car as my daily driver. Cheers, Jack
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:40:15 AM »

I don't know if it was a dud batch or not but i got out some neoprene ones i had in a box for a couple of years and they had gone all crumbly and just fell to bits when i squashed them with my hand, an easy way to fit the rear shackles is to fit a block of timber(70 x 35 pine stud works well) between the spring eye and chassis rail, put a jack under the diff/shocky mount and jack it up "slowly", as it goes up the spring eye will slide along the timber till it is in the right position to fit the shackle easily, when you let the jack back down the block of timber will just fall out, too easy.
                     Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

My front rubbers didn't last long either so I converted them to the EH type inner and outer steel sleeve with a rubber in between them they should last  10 years easy now  ......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: