FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:45:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Petes FC rebuild again  (Read 321303 times)
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »
+1

Pedro all stock except for the pod filter adaptor all that it is is a plate to the shape of the air flow metre with a bit of 3 inch staino welded on it any supercheap pod filter fits only one word of warning if you hold it bouncing off the rev limiter for 10 or more seconds being a dick the whole lot falls off engine dies and you look like a fool needs a support off the air flow metre so it doesnt fall off.

Wait till you see the new shed i have gone overboard to the max work is paying so who cares 28 x 9 x 4.2 mezanine air con office got a recod repco hoist bought a linishall linisher bought speedwerx english wheel shrinker stretcher have my big anvil with dollies roller drawer cabinets fully decked out with internet which is also logged into the water jet at work so if i want to cut something i program it at home and its automatically on the machine at work for the boys to cut.. getting excited its set up for all my mates and father to build rods and toys so they can all enjoy it....

Pedro ill make you a intake thingo and send  it up no charge they are pretty simple///

Pete

pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »

Thanks for the offer Pete and I don't want to seem ungratefull but mine came with a pod air filter setup, it's a bit long but I think if I cut it down a bit and modified the bracket everything should just fit, I gather you just left out the rubber hoses and squeezed the air flow meter into the plastic section.
                           Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »

nah rubber joiner beetween the tw0

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »

Hey Hoon and Pedro,

Have few questions and opinions wanted

With my Skyline motor (RB30) it has the oil return line and the water one with the threads in block. if i was to turbo it, I think a ball bearing turbo would be the go, but what i wanted to know ... when you have turbo, youd put a oil cooler on hey and then go back to motor last, does this require a valve of any sort? I'd love to have a rb26 with its superior bottom end.

Next question, if I was gunna go for a high torque motor, non turbo, a high lift cam and better springs would be the go hey, but i dont think bigger injectors would make much difference on a stock motor. a cold air box would make more difference I reckon and better chipset??? 

I was also thinking of doing an IRS conversion  Undecided but can see this as being a lot of work, but i have to cut most of the car anyway lol so I was thinking a superior setup would be out of a jag but expensive, but maybe an aftermarket one with close track could be the go??? (I'm starting to sound like pedro, this was suppose to be a stock build lol).

ive heard vn are crap.

Any info would be great. I have to lower compression ratio if i was to turbo it. Caold you foresee any dramas Hoon if I went for a mild 9-12 pound boost jobby???

I'd love a cold air intake Hoon or intake setup and I'd pay to get you to do one. Gotta sort out engine mount later too and front rack. I'm thinking of doing a custom air cond with rudimentary crome pipes ha ha into the cabin.

Sorry I've asked so much and uze are so busy.

Cheers

Dean.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »

Jeez lotsa questions
first no you dont use a oil cooler theres a bung and its oil pressure you feed from there to the turbo then it dumps into another bung that goes into the sump.
As for modifying atmo mine ran a GTS cam crow double valve srings Pod filter cannot go lumpier or bigger injectors without computer mods aftermarket is best yes injectors  and cam and computer will make a lot of difference and a good exhaust.
IRS ass ends think out of the square i know of a FJ in sydney registred running a supra IRS rear end silvia or skyline would be a close fit.
Jag is too big and old skool commodore is too wide will upset geometry if you chop it.
If doing a turbo conversion you can use a decompression plate or only run %psi or less but lowering would be the best.

Run a rear mount rack avoid front mount they are horrible.
Get into it and get rid of the rust use a waddingtons tunnel off e bay no mucking around easy fit.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »

thanks mate. all noted. Yeah ive been researching various IRS's including the ones you have said. trying to find track widths and setups that may be suitable.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »

Finally some small progress

Sump is finished and fitted back on the engine i even remebered to put the pick up on which after a few sherberts is something i would normally forget.

Sat the engine in and how about that it clears the pat gardener front end just need to cut the engine mounts out now.

Got the FE out of the shed ready for a blue slip and the drivers wheel cylinder starts leaking so all cylinders are coming out to get re sleeved drum brakes really annoy me working on them but should not be too long and she will be crusing.

Pete

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »

cool well done.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:07 AM »

pete, hows it all going? do u still have to get engineers?

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 05:26:19 AM »

Its a long way off done but i think i might be able to get it re registred fingers crossed..

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »

i spoke to an engineer today, he said a turbo rb30 is out of question for me now. but an rb26 if its 2.6 litre is fine with new rules working on weight of 1060.

do u know if lexus v8's use same gearbox as supra?

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »

Probably not the same gearbox id imagine.

what a bloody joke all these laws are giving a lot of people itchy feet.

JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »

Or you could do what I am going to do... Queensland engineer, drive/truck it to QLD get it registered, drive back home and change over the rego to VIC. No RWC required as long as its got rego. Legal to go to 5ltr. Or 4ltr with a turbo for FE/FC

Where there is a will there is a relative...

JB

Phone +64 223509263
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »

Ill try my luck at bribing someone first then i might have to bite the bullet and talk to my brother in law.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »

yeah my local vicroads said if i got any car from interstate, as long as it had rego there and im changing it over, they dont need to inspect it at all despite any mods. so I guess thats what Fevan is talking about. im warming to the idea of a smaller v8 though, sounds good and more room under the bonnet.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »

hey hoon, i thought of u straight away when i saw this awesome video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRU2lDCSfBU&playnext=1&list=PL07B1A9BAE0ABB077

thats a pretty tough motor!

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »

Well after a new baby and a whole heap of other stuff going on with work  i made the decision to send the FC away after nearly 2 years of little progress i want it done for the nationals .

So i have sent it to  someone i can trust (hopefully) to do the major chassis work as its going to be full a full on build.
I took the car to a reputable builder monday cant let too much out theres some wild mods coming its way watch this space i guess.
I have been doing all the fiddly bits here and there
finished making my own version of under dash guage mount so it covers the hoses/cables ect just to make sure i can still weld came up tidy very happy with it.
not bad for an hrs work in between jobs.

There will be a flush mounted tubes welded either side above the slot for a countersunk head to do up the dash panel.
looks pretty close to the original one but smoother.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »

yeah not bad... pretty damm good!  ; Cheesy

in the shed
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »

Tig welding at 18 amps on 1.0mm steel after 2 morning coffees doesnt help but its straight no warpage. Grin

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »

Yep, this is going to be a build to watch.. you better put lots of photos on here!!!

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: