FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Long trips in old cars  (Read 3886 times)
Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2003, 11:02:02 AM »

Some of our newer members have indicated a reluctance to drive their FE/FC over long distances, particularly the Gold Coast at Easter.

For those members & anyone else considering a long trip in the "Old Girl". Here are a few suggestions that will help to ensure that you get there & back with a minimum of frustration. I would welcome any other suggestions.

These checks were all we used before heading off to Perth in "Gertie" in 1968 for a 6 week holiday. The only hold up was a flat tyre caused by a faulty tube (replaced under warranty)

• Replace top and bottom radiator hoses. Carry old ones for spares.
  • Replace fan belt. Carry old one for spare.
  • Arrange to have the cooling system pressure tested.
  • While not original, old Holdens perform better in the heat with a water recovery system installed, and if done right can be a bolt-on bolt-off proposition (if you want to remove it before showing the car).
  • Replace distributor points and adjust timing. Carry old ones for spare.
  • Grease and oil change. This includes checking steering box, gear box and differential oil levels.
  • Check tyres and pressures, including the spare. 32-34 psi will provide a reasonable ride, low pressures will cause tyre wear and instability on corners. Also check for uneven tyre wear and rectify the problem with a wheel alignment and balance.
  • Check and repair any major oil leaks.
  • Thoroughly clean the windscreen inside and out.
  • Check headlight adjustment and consider the benefits of quartz halogen lights for night driving. The original lights were okay 40 years ago but the reflectors (like everything else) will dim with age.
  • Check drivers seat for weak springs, they can be very uncomfortable over long periods.
  • Carry a 4 litre container of water in the boot. If you do get stuck you may get thirsty or you may need it for the radiator.

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 11:46:35 AM »

Thanks for the tips Gertie. We can always count on you. Lol.
Regards
Alex

Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 12:28:02 PM »

Good advice Gertie,
Now is the time to get your FE, FC ready for the trip. This way gives you plenty of time to do it right. Here are more tips,
    1. have radiator flushed out, engine block back flushed with compressed air and water. Have water pump checked.
    2. change the condencer as well as the points, because if faulty can cause a lot of problems.
     3. have the front wheel bearings repacked with grease or replaced, at same time have front end checked.
      4. have brakes checked.
      5. as well as water carry engine oil and brake fliud.

Cheers Al

« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 12:30:32 PM by Al » Logged

See ya
Al
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 12:22:23 PM »

i always carry tools and jumper leads and tow rope.
this has helped me and others lots of times.
if running original generator always carry spares as no one in country towns are likely to have parts

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: