FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 05, 2024, 06:28:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: boot badge paint  (Read 4528 times)
Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »

I'm at the stage where I need to paint a couple of things instead of replacing them on my fc special sedan.
I had my rear quarter lion emblem badges re chromed and now they need the red paint that surrounds the "MIGHTY LION" Also my boot badge paint is non existant,( the plastic insert job)I can put up with the crazing for now but it does need colour.
The lion and stars in boot badge were gold and the surround red ( I'm sure you know this already) and seem to have some special reflective, mirror type finish. Can I buy stuff for this and heaven forbid do it myself or is it a special process. Thanks,
Gary C
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »

Gary, You can get both of these repro from Rare Spares

Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »

Thanks Zulu,,, but I have just rechromed my original shields (3 months wait)and at this stage I want to restore my boot badge.
The 90 odd buck rear boot badge just doesnt look right. Mine has remnants of gold lion and gold stars with an electric red surround
Is there anyone out there that know how to duplicate  the finishes required for these particular pieces .
Thanks ,Gary C
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »

hi Gary,
The boot badge was painted with a see thru Red and then Vacuum metalised when new. The best way I have found to duplicate it is to buy see thru red from a model/hobby shop in a spray can then paint over it with silver paint (spray can) comes up quite good.Gives it that reflective look.
Cheers,
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »

I restored a number of badges before we made the repros. The reflective finish is done using vacuum metalising which we used to get done at a badge makers here in Victoria, whilst the red we used was opaque enamel which I brushed on. The gold colour you have comes from a strange batch of plastic inserts we encountered. They all start out clear and some go gold when metalised - weird Roll Eyes The badge company could not explain why!
Anyway in dull light the badge looks dark as in the photo - Once on a car and in the sun, the badge comes to life.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »

I'll echo Ken's comments. The photos don't do the badge justice. Unless you've got some seriously mad skillz to repaint your badge just right, and can get the vacuum metalising done, you'd be better off stumping up the money to Rares. Their badge is very good.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »

Thanks fellars , the main reason I didnt want to go with the repro is I would not see it before I bought it, and I must admit I have spent a lot of time waiting for something that cost a lot of money that ended up being something I didnt want.They also look silver ,are they?Oh yeah I managed to get my hands on a grill badge and the lion is magnificent gold and I would like the boot badge to match.
Thanks again,
Gary C
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:51:40 PM »
+1

I managed to get my hands on a grill badge and the lion is magnificent gold and I would like the boot badge to match.

Why? If you can see the boot badge and the grille badge at the same time you've got far bigger problems to worry about Shocked

The Rares badge is the original silver colour. There's a bit of argument about whether the gold colour was ever original, or caused by discolouration.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: