FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 05:25:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing standard fan  (Read 2677 times)
Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »

Has anybody replaced their standard 4 blade grey fan with an improved type, is there a multi fit type fan that will suit my grey? My grey has a large harmonic balancer that interferes with the fan and I thought if I have to muck around with the standard fan I might as well upgrade if possible. Thanks Gary C
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »

This is a common problem on red motors with larger balancers.

My Torana uses a Romac race balancer so I use a thermo fan instead but the factory solved the problem on XU1's by chopping a section from each fan blade. Possibly you could do the same?

You just make a template and carefully mark and cut each blade. This will ensure balance is retained.
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »

I did modify my fan as you said Craig but Iam worried about it not only being unbalanced but also the amount of air it moves. Iam looking into a thermo fan but the auto electrician is worried about the standard generator being able to run it. I wanted to keep the generator so I had it rebuilt to new specs and dont want to bin it. Thanks Gary C
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »

Gary, I run a thermo fan in my FE. I have a generator, the only time I notice any real load on it is in winter when the heater is running and you use the blinkers, they blink R E A L L Y    S L O W L Y.

I have a switch in the thermostat housing which turns the fan on at about 85 Deg. The switch activates a relay for the fan. I can turn it all off via a switch on the dash as well.

I have never had any over heating issues.

Colin.

colt
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »

Colin, what size and make fan do you run on your fe? Also did you fit it in front of the radiator or behind,thanks Gary.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:23 PM »

Gary, my fan mounts in front. I just went to the wreckers and looked. It just fits, completely coincidental. It's a bit noisy but hasn't failed yet. I would'nt know what brand it is. It doesn't quite cover the width of the radiator.

Colin.

PS: my radiator is standard type with 3 cores.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: