FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:38:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 54409 times)
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »

Hi all have been away for a long time with work and family since 03
i have a 1959 FC sedan "Special" car is in mint conditions its a bit of a sleeper sun visor rear venitians has most nasco accesories
has been in australian muscle car issue 1 and in zoom has been running a nissan 3 litre RB30 for 13 years
car was fully restored 9 years ago
centura diff running parralell 4 link with spax coil over shocks
Commodore discs all around
3/4 chassis
torana rack
Rb30 has GTS cam balanced blueprinted ported polished head 21/2 inch exhaust
walkinshaw wheels.
i stripped the car down last week to start on a bigger and better car it has a RB26Dett twin turbo godzilla motor half cut had 40 thousand ks on it.
I had built a powerglide with 3 grand stally fully manulised bigger pan dellow bellhousing turbo 400 input shaft.
I have shortened a VS commodore diff fitted 307 gears LSD centre billet axles.
Just started a alloy fuel tank fitted with a internal swirl pot carter lift pump bosch 044 fuel pump high pressure.
work slows me down but have got a fair bit done so far in a fortnight.
Cheers FCHOON

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:20:35 PM »

Sounds good - can you post some progress pics.

Ken
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »

will post some pics of the car tommorow and start some progress ones.

TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »

Geeez,sounds like a pretty boring car,don't bother posting pics............. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Obviously I'm joking,where's the pics,where's the pics!!!!!

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »

G'day FC hoon, welcome back, sounds like a wicked project, as someone who is currently building an FC wagon with an RB30 engine i would also be "very" interested in seeing some pics, might help with a few issues I'm dealing with Wink.
                 Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »

No worries whats your problem

I cannot upload pics have no idea what im doing thats my problem.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »

No worries whats your problem

Oh nothing too much, just a few simple things like sump, engine mounts, radiator, exhaust, fuel tank, diff, brakes, wiring, etc. Grin, nah, actually I've got most of it figured now, did you use a VK radiator with thermo fans Huh, I'm using the commodore fuel tank and had that pretty sussed until i realised there was nowhere for the exhaust to go, had to stop working on mine for a while but I'm about to get back into it, you can see what I'm up to in cars being built under "el-cheapo rebuild".

As far as your problem goes I had the same problem when I started(as do most of us who aren't computer nerds), I presume you can put the photo's into your computer, if so go to photo bucket and join(free), then upload the photo's from your computer to photo bucket, when that is done bring up this site as well and start a new post on here under cars being built or cars finished, then go back to photobucket and click on the bottom line that comes up under you photo and press ctrl c(cut), go back to the FE/FC site and press ctrl v(paste) and the writing will come up on your post, add comments and repeat until finished, when you press post it will come up as pictures, hope that helps.
                                        Pedro

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »

old fuel tank ran a internal swirl pot in a standard tank with a VS fuel pump mounted in the front of the tank worked great (new alloy tank has more baffles swirl pot external surge tank.
radiator i use a VL 5 core now using GTR skyline with 1 16 inch thermo
Sump i cut the vl one about 30mm down the whole way around and re fabricated it from there (i own a large sheetmetal shop)
engine mounts i just V,d them and bent them inwards towards the block and made new mounts off the crossmemeber all VL no old red motor mounts on mine.
Brakes i run VL discs all around using a vl master cylinder on a Datsun 200B booster they are tiny in size and are double diaphram all hot rodders seem to use them now.
If you get stuck for wiring i can tell you which wires are what they are very basic ones you work out the pins you run just the engine harness side of a VL and it only needs ignition ,main power,fuel pump relay with power out to the pump, speedo signal needed for auto which mine has and doesnt need so i found out after grafting a VL to fc speedo so it looked original.
If you get stuck i can take pics as its all out of the car.

NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »

Shocked OMG Pedro - you sound so knowledgeable! I'm very impressed!  Smiley

Oh, yeah and welcome to the forum fchoon!  

NosFEratu
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:06 PM »

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »

sorry for the mess up trying to learn how to upload see if this is any better

GM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »

That worked. I think I may have seen this car before at Wickham a number of years ago?
                    Cheers Glenn

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »

Yep use to work at hannel street that was before it was re built.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:07 PM »

hey Pete, i think last time i saw your car was at kooragang!
 that was after you got your p's and took out the grey.

is the commodore diff cut down yet, if so how much did it cost?
 we will have to race one day, ive still got the same 179 block i had then.

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 04:31:22 AM »

it cost me a carton of beer for the diff i shortened it myself i own a sheet metal business respline long axle for short side 130 bucks and new billet axle for long side 360 i had my gears changed over you could do a diff for under 500 just. Would love a run when she hp done should have about 260kw at wheels with my set up.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »

Thanks for the info fchoon, all much appreciated, I've already picked up a couple of ideas from that pic,  looks like a nice car, very neat and tidy under the bonnet and the RB30 looks like it was meant to go there.
 I tried using the VL radiator but the bottom inlet is too low and hits on the subframe rail, I tried putting it forward but it sat too high for the bonnet catch and i've also discovered that if it is too low you get air pockets in the top of the engine and they crack heads, apparently it was a problem they had in commodores with the RB30 engine, other people have used vk radiators as the inlet is higher, only prob. is the outlet is on the wrong side and the hose has to be run from one side to the other, I've done the sump but am wondering if i should have left the baffle plate in and what pick up to use, apparently the GQ Nissan patrol with the RB30 has a sump and pick up that will fit Huh, sounds like a much easier way to do the wiring I thought i was going to have to buy a full harness, thanks again.
                                       Pedro

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »

Baffle plates is highly advisable my first sump i made at the age of 16 cornering real hard you would have to back off as it dropped oil pressure.
Modify the original pick up they are not that difficult from memory i had some 19mm OD S/S tube and a mandrel bend i just welded it all together
I have a pick of what i did around my radiator put some new rails up the side for it to sit between but mine has a full smooth cover to go over the top of the whole radiator looks a lot better.
You can run a standard fc radiator seen it before but you would have to fit a thermo on the front and it would be very close to harminic balancer the way i have done it its reccessed forward more giving more clerance

Remeber this was done when i was 16 but its still effective i am just tidying up and re spraying engine bay.

GM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »

It was in Harrisson st., I saw it (and you) I thought. The nissan motor was fitted, If it's the same car. Had tri-y headlight covers? We spoke for about 10 mins. I was doing my fc ute at the time.
                 Cheers Glenn

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »

Yeah thats the one Glenn was before it was re built had the standard vl crappy exhaust and 350 thousand km engine in it i was on a budjet cost me under 3 grand to do the first conversion (Triple that now)

I worked at newcastle electrical services did my trade their then started my own company which was a massive step and have not looked back we have just installed a water jet cutter full CNC and a router engraver so their will be a lot of foreign orders in beetween jobs.

Pete

GM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:12 AM »

Where is your workshop located? The last time we spoke you were going to Singleton.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: