FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:57:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: more headliner questions  (Read 3122 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:38 PM »

do i trim the headliner at the edge of the windscreen opening or does the vynil fold over the edge of the opening?

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »

Folds over the edge and glued down

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

according to the manual i first fit the windlace, then trim the edges of the vinyl,
 the only way i can get the windlace to stay in place is to bash the spike strip in wich i just pulled all open and straightened to fit the headliner,

do i have to bash it in then pull it back out after the headliner is trimed?

and then when the time comes to tuck in the headliner, what is the best way to aply the glue to the windlace, headliner and spike strip and then get it into place without getting glue on the white headliner or white windlace?

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »

Of all the headliners I have done, FE/FCs are the hardest (to say the least) FB/EKs are much nicer with glued down edges and stainless trim strip.
Anyway, if you are happy with front and rear attachments you can start.
Get a plastic putty knife from Bunnings and sand the sharp edges off and get a mallet or small hammer and tape some non-marking soft cloth to the face of it. No glue should be required.

1. Make sure the "alligator rail's" prongs are all straightened out, ie at 90 degrees, double check because you don't want to be stopping half-way to sort out a couple you missed.
2. Loosely push the headliner overhang up into the gap and close up the metal strip to leave a 5mm gap.
3. Set the windlace with the round section to one side of the 5mm gap with the "tail" of the windlace covering the gap, push this in with the putty knife.
4. Using the hammer or mallet lightly tap the "alligator strip" down until the gap is closed and the headliner and windlace are held, continue doing a small section at a time.

I have found that it is best not to try to hammer the entire strip down as it tends to stretch and you end up with bulges. About 10cm tight to 10cm just closed up seems to do the trick.

Happy to hear of any better (easier) methods  Grin

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »

My method is to straigten out the teeth as you suggest, then push the headliner firmly into the groove until the teeth on the strip grip the headliner. This holds the headliner in place.
Then feed the windlace in and tap down the strip moving slowly.
I use a piece of wood covered in felt which I tap with a mallet. I have found that hitting the headliner directly even with a soft mallet can mark or cut the headliner. Since I have been using the wood covered in felt I have had no problems at all.

The CRITICAL thing is to get the alligator teeth all straight and pointing the right way.

Ken
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »

I also am trying to fit a new headliner to my FC sedan.

I am now at the stage of getting some paid professional help to do the job for me - any suggestions for someone in Brisbane who can do it??

thanks.  Huh Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: