FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door Hinge Bolts  (Read 4984 times)
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:15:49 AM »

I have been trying to source the bolts, nuts and nut locks used to fit the door hinges into the A and B pillars all this week as i had to destroy approx half of mine to get them out as they had seized severley.

Nominated as A in the diagram

Where have people sourced these from ie Blackwoods, Rare Spares etc. 

Thanks in advance.

Jase

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »

Most bolt shops will have these 5/16 UNF bolts and screws, but getting the countersunk  in the Philips head might be hard... no problems getting them in stainless or H/T steel with Allen key ......FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply 427.  Only had time to get fuel and drive to work before you had already responded. Cheesy

Blackwoods had them in UNC with a allan key head but said they had no listing for UNF.  Also I think the little grab washers with the teeth may be a bigger problem.  Instead of using the square nut with the locking tab on the back is there any reason why a lock nut wont do the job?

Jase

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »

I tried sourcing a replacements for the hinge screws.  I think coventry fasteners said that the countersink angle is different to anything they had.  I do remember them saying something about allen/hex head.  Can't remember about thread unf/unc.

Perhaps try getting some good 2nd hand ones.

Cheers
Peter.
spanner

Model: FE

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »

I used socket head (allen key ) on mine. Can get them nice and tight.
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »

I have sets of good ones for sale. pm me if interested. $24 for a set of 12.

These MUST be loosened with an impact driver and the correct sized bit - trying to undo them with a phillips head screwdriver will destroy them.

Ken
hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

Hi Ken.  Thanks for the offer.  I went and bought an impact screw driver originally and used the largest bit that came with it, but still no success in getting the stubourn ones out.  Might have to heat the suckers up with an oxy and have a go.

Damn cigarette lighter just does not do the job. Roll Eyes

A set of 12 does either two front doors or two rear doors right??? 

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »

Think Ken means 12x the countersunk bolts enough for all 4 doors ......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »

I remember when i built my FE sedan, i went to every wreck i knew of and pulled the screws out of them. They are very hard to get hold of. Normally the rear ones are easier to get out. When i pull them out i get the biggest phillips head screw driver i have and put it in the screw, then give it a couple hits with hammer (eg, mash hammer). Then get another big phillips head that isn't very worn and try undoing the screw by hand, if unsucessful and if your big screw driver has the ability to put a shifting spanner on it, use the spanner to help give you more leverage. If still unsuccessful, keep repeating the process. If still unsuccessful drill it out.

Cheers Scott
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »

HR prem is right - a set of 12 does 2 front doors. You need another 12 for the rear doors.

Ken
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »

Scott,  Easier to buy an impact screw driver which will do what you've done, but at the same time (bang and turn) with a lot more efficiency.  Then you reverse the turning force and do the screws up with the same tool.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: