FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 10:25:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Moving on  (Read 13637 times)
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

Gidday all,Just giving you all a look at my starting point for the next phase of my life. Kids nearly out on their own.
Just a little background on where it all started. In 1987 purchased the FC Special for $200 in Toowoomba QLD. Original colour two tone green (Someone pleease advise me of the correct name of the colours). Drove it back home (300 meters down the road) and started to strip in down. Being in the RAAF at the time there was only a small garden shed and a carport available in the married quarter provided. All parts removed and body sandblasted and returned to home. Then the tedious but fulfilling task of putting it all back together with the new colour being a Toyota White (Eeeeek). This time around all was standard except for the imitation dragways fitted plus a floor shift. After being posted to Sydney in 1991 I then embarked on fitting a red motor, Aussie 4 speed, HR diff., plus all the required compliance accessories i.e. HR front etc. Also redid the engine bay to hide wiring and fit brake booster, EH column and KB laser bucket seats. In 1999 returned to Toowoomba and the car has basically sat in the shed since. Now looking to upgrade again to a V8 from a VN Commodore plus all the required drivetrain. So now the journey begins.
Can someone explain to me the gauge setup I have and also where I can get all the writing redone i.e. OIL, TEMP, GEN. Here are as few photos of how it is now. The engine bay leaves an little to be desired so don't be too tough.
Cheers Craig

NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum

First things first - You WANT the gauge set up you have!  You do NOT WANT to go back to the original set up! Do a search on "Wilsonia" and you'll start to understand where it is a period after market gauge! Do NOT be conned by anyone who says they will swap you an original one for the one you have!  Grin Not that I truly believe anyone on here would do that though!  Cheesy  A few of them would probably also like those fin extensions and that grille badge you've got too!  Wink 

There is plenty of information on here that will help you with your future plans for it.  And good luck with the next phase of your life that includes being re-acquainted your beloved FC.  Smiley

Kathi

NosFEratu
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:45:22 PM »

Guage relettering is tricky - Phil in Newcastle did a run of repro glasses but I am pretty sure they are all gone now. I would get a sign writer to make up a decal for you to stick on. As Kathi says - plenty of photos available for you to print and show to a sign writer.
Please post your cars ID plate numbers and chassis number and I can tell you the original colours - there was more than 1 combination of greens

Ken
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »

Hey Craig I'll swap you an original standard gauge for ............just kidding Wink.Welcome to the forum.That is a great looking car as it is.Can't wait to see the rebuild. Shocked

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
simins
vic-club

Our Toys

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

great looking car as it is hope the rebuild goes well Cool
Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »

let me look around, i have 5 sticker made for my wilsonia gauges, should have 3 somewhere.

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ken

I will get the details to you. Can you also give me an idea on whether the paint scheme was different seeing this has the fin extensions?
I might chase up a signwriter here in Toowoomba to see whether it is possible for the lettering to be produced.

Just40

Keep in touch if you come up with anything.

Kathi

I was in luck years ago when I went for a drive around the outskirts of Toowoomba and found an old FC Ute rusted out in the paddock. I knocked on the landholders door and asked if I could go and have a look at the old cars in the paddock, to which he agreed. When I got over their I saw the gauge set and grill badge and paid him $20 on the way out.

Now I realise what a bargain I got. Grin Grin Grin

As for the rest all is original as it came with the car.

Thanks again
Craig

Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »

Hi Whitefc just found this on ebay

Ebay Item #370256662110
                                           Cheers Damo58
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:38:32 PM by RET » Logged

Iam good just ask me Smiley
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »

Thanks Damo58

Still checking out the signwriters here in Toowoomba.

Cheers

Craig
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »

For what it's worth the seller on that Ebay link is Phil from Newcastle that Ken referred to previously. I've got one of those repro lenses on my Wilsonia, they're very well done.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »

Thanks RET

Will keep an eye on it.

Cheers

Craig
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »

Hi Craig, cant stop thinking about those fin extensions. Are they an after market accessory, original or modified? They look great and I want some! I have never seen them before. It is a very nice looking car you have Craig and wish you all the best with your future plans.
Gary C.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »

The fin extensions were a factory fit as far as I can tell.I have two cars with them on,one which is a two tone and one which is a single colour.It depends on the style of two tone I guess although I'm not sure why it was on the single colour car.The one thing I have noticed is that the fins with extensions are different to those without.They have slots that the extensions fit into.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:04:12 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Gary.

As for 'where do you get the fin extensions' I have no idea. I was lucky enough to have them on the car when I purchased it

A white car out in the sun always looks good because of the glare. Body and paint will need a tidy up as there are some small rust holes are appearing in the usual places.

I just thought I would post some photos before I break it apart again.

Cheers Craig
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »

Think the fin extensions were 1959 FC I had a N/O/S pair I sold on ebay last year for $90 from memory .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »

FC427

When in Sydney back in 1991 I meet Zulu (Gary) and his first response to my car was that it was a 59 model. Asking how he knew this he said basically because of the fin extensions.

Your comment supports this theory unless otherwise proven.

Rgds
Craig
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »

Ken

Numbers as follows:
FC 200241
Body: FC225-29008-S
Trim: 274-633
Paint: 256-2100
Insert: 253-5775

Your assistance is appreciated.

Craig
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »

If I have it right Huh they were for when they changed the paint lines on two tone car's for 1959 ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »

All is revealed here.

The trim is indeed to separate the paint colours. As far as the question about why they're on a single-tone car is concerned, the fitting holes for the trim on both the later styles of FC ("C" pillar trim, fin extension) are part of the panel pressing for a Special. It's the same with the strip below the tail-lights - even the initial release single-tone FC Specials have that.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22:42 AM »

RET

Thanks for this info it is exactly what I was after as it gives me the original paint scheme. I am considering another colour along with the white in this rebuild.

Cheers

Craig
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: