FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front end refurb  (Read 5564 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »

Hi Guys.
removed the front end on the weekend to give it a clean and replace outrigger bush and front mount.
While its off I was going to replace all the replacables
 SO.... my question is..... what is replaceable
what is serviceable and where do you get it.. Tie rod ends  etc??. I know rares sell some of the items but not all.

When does the kingpin require changing. ie whats the test for too much movement???

Thanks... all answers read with gusto.

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

First of all you shouldn't have removed the front end from the car.
The upper and lower outer pivots wear (mostly the top one) but hard to check for movement with the front end out.
Similarly the easiest way to check king pin wear is to jack the car at the front and then with one hand at the top and one hand at the bottom, try and rock the wheel in and out. Tightening the wheel bearings may be advisable if this is a distracting movement.
The steering is checked by putting the hands at 3 and 9 and rocking to check for movement. You should look at the tie rod ends, the idler arm and all joints on the steering tube. Near impossible to do once front end is out of car.
The upper and lower inner pivots also wear and should be checked. The upper pivots are checked by putting a bar under the wheel to take load off the top arm and rocking up and down.
The lower inner bush can only really be checked by removing the king pin and spring so it has no weight on it. Not usual for wear at the lower bush but not unheard of.
Do you have a workshop manual? - all of this stuff is detailed in there and you MUST have one in order to learn about the car.
Rares sell all these items I believe - as others do.
Ken
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »

Thanks Ken
pm

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »

I'm looking at doing suspension too.  I noticed rares didn't appear to stock lower control arm inner shaft kit but did the others.  What are the other suppliers that might stock this suspension part ?
RIZ007

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »

HI I am fitting a HR front end into my FC and putting in a 3.3 black motor, which sump will I have to use to make it fit.I was going to put in a HR sump but am not sure.Also if any one knows do I need to modify the floor tunnel when fitting a trymatic.
thanks
RIZOO7

👀
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 01:05:44 PM »

You will have to use the EH sump and oil pick up and also have to fit a larger tunnel and a new rear gearbox mount if you do a search you will find the many different ways this has been attacked .....a lot just install the CRS chassis strengthening kit that welds to the front or the rear spring hanger and then bolts through the top hat section that the subframe bolts to then has another section that bolts to where  the original side mounts bolted to on the subframe and back to the first section to make a continuous rail ........FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »

LC/LJ Torana sump and pickup will fit too. And maybe easier to find.
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »

Roll Eyes I had an inkling that LC/LJ sumps "might" fit but have never had it confirmed.Do they fit in "as is" Craig or is some massaging required??

I did some measurements a while back and from these it appeared the LC/LJ fitment would be tight.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »

G'day Terry, hope you're going good  Grin

Here's a couple of pictures from Oldholden.com. Looks OK to me and I recall people doing it but maybe someone else can provide 100% clarification.

EH

LC/LJ

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »

LC/LJ Torana sump and pickup will fit too. And maybe easier to find.
Well that sucks  Cry I traded my you-beaut large capacity etc, etc LC sump for an EH sump when the 202 went into the FE.

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »

G'day Craig,

I'm still breathing and have a heartbeat so things are still working   Wink Grin.

I have an LC/LJ sump and EH sump here and from the measurements I did with both, my measurements saw the LC/LJ fitment into early holden front ends as being VERY tight with maybe some panelbeating of the sump being required.I didn't go any further with trying the LC/LJ sump as I found an EH sump in the meantime.

Wonder if anyone else has sucessfully use LC/LJ sumps in early holden??

Has anybody seen my red pen??
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:18:26 PM »

It depends on how far you can get the engine back. If you use a cable accelerator instead of the rod around the back, you can get another 10 mm and this is enough to fit the Torana sump in.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: