FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 12:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Low profile oil bath  (Read 4232 times)
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »

Hi All,

My FC225 has a low profile oil bath.  I noticed most others have a larger unit fitted as standard.  I did a search on the forums and couldn't find much on the history of these items, and if they are aftermarket ?  I don't have the really small chrome sports unit like in the accessories forum.  I guess mine is just the medium size - black.

What stickers should this bath have ?

Also, talking about oil filters, my engine oil filter is fitted to the inner guard.  Again many of the photos I've seen have this extra item mounted on the engine block. 

Cheers
Peter.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:48:53 AM »

Any chance of posting a pic? TTBOMK, there was no Holden accessory along these lines, so I suspect what you have is from some other model.

48s and FJs have a smaller diameter, taller (10" ?) oil filter, and FEs and most FCs have a squatter (maybe 8") high, rounder unit. Late '59 examples have the paper element type as seen on everything since.

If you have trouble with pic posting, feel free to email a pic to me and I'll sort it out.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »

Mine looks like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140314632890

but not Kleinig filter as per

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12892.0.html

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:13:47 PM »

The air cleaner you have is possibly the heavy duty air cleaner option for EK - EH era which was lower profile than FE but still an oil bath. It was meant for outback use or where there was a very dusty environment. I may have a pic somewhere.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »

Can't say that I have seen that filter before.
I believe this is the EK accessory oilbath filter.

Regards
Alex

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »

No further enlightenment on the original question, but in googling around to see if I could turn anything up on it, I found this page. Excellent technical detail on the oil-bath filter, how it works and why they're still being used in certain applications.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:54:25 AM »

TTBOMK,

What the hell does that mean?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »

Yep I stand corrected, I couldn't quite remember what the EK one looked like but a pic is better than a thousand words.

TTBOMK - to the best of my knowledge Roll Eyes

Ken
stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »

I did a bit more digging and found this airbath was purchased aftermarket.  Originally this 59 FC came with a paper filter, but the old boy swapped it out for a oil bath.  Apparently the paper element could get wet in winter, and the car felt like it was running on half choke.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: