FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 06:00:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windscreen installation  (Read 3082 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »

OK... I've read the treads on putting in a new windcreen and I plan to do it myself. I did one once before (20 years) so i'm a little bit confident. That was a standard without the jewellery. I've got half the jewellery on at the moment and taping in in place. Does anyone have some further advice/encouragement to offer ?
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »

The standard is easy compared to the special but can be done with patience. As you say, taping the stainless helps to keep it in place, make sure it is seated in the rubber properly especially at the ends. You will need to carefully remove the tape as you pull the cord through.
I try to leave the rubber (if it is a new one) on the screen for a few days in the sun to take the memory out of it so it doesn't want to curl up.
Be prepared to take the screen out again after you are 3/4 of the way there and it all goes wrong - this is just part of the learning process. Only start to get frustrated after the 5th attempt has just gone wrong Grin

Start the cord in the centre at the bottom and pull one cord at a time reciprocating back and forth between the two.
Have someone on the outside of the car who is helping the screen into position.
Be patient, work slowly, don't rush, good luck.

Ken
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:29:16 AM »

Thanks Ken
What is the timing for the application of the sealant? If you say that i may have to take the screen back out... there is going to be sealant all over the place. The manual says that you lay down the sealant in the lip of the seal that fits into the channel on the car body window opening. Then put in the cord as you say and then push in the window from the outside whilst removing the cord from the inside.
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »

The sealant takes quite a while to go off (if ever) and yes it can get messy  - Have lots of kero ready for clean up afterwards.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: