FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Suppressor  (Read 3321 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2003, 01:18:41 AM »

When I was doing some work on the motor some time ago I took the radio suppressor off and forgot where the connections go.

I know one of the connections was earthed while the other went to one of the connections on the distributor.

Can anyone tell me where the connections go. I do believe you can also connect up to the generator as well or get an inline high tension distributor/coil one. The motor and assessories are stock grey.

Many Thanks

Rod
craiga
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2003, 01:40:09 AM »

Rod,

Suppressor (capacitor) connection goes between the primary (+ve) side of the coil and earth. If you use the original type solid copper leads you will have LOTS of trouble trying to stop your radio crackling, especially in lower signal strength areas. Best fix is to use later type suppressed (carbon core) HT cables - but if your after the original look you could either use black carbon cables that look similar or suppress both the generator and the coil.

Also make sure your aerial is well grounded at the base and at the radio, and the radio itself is well grounded. Rather than just using the radio chassis to earth it's wise to run a separate cable directly from the radio to the engine block.

Popular Mechanics has a basic description of what to look for at http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/1997/4/clear_radio_static/print.phtml

Here's a picture that shows a few methods of suppressing noise

Have fun!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: