FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:59:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Baby Wagon Finally Back on the Road  (Read 13151 times)
Tailshaft_Tim
act-club

Model: FC

Holden Heaven

holdenorgau holdenorgau
View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:17 AM »

G'day Fellow FE-FC Holden Enthusiasts

Sorry I've been so quiet lately.  I've been on a slow-motion race against time to get our white and grey 1959 FC Holden Special Station Sedan back on the road.  My wife Bec has been using our red 1958 FC Holden Utility as a daily driver, but with our first baby on 3 June, it's been driven on borrowed time.  I managed to get our wagon ACT-engineered and re-registered on 2 June, with 24 hours to spare.  Ironically, there is still no sign of our baby boy, but we're told he's due any day now.  I was grateful for the delay, as it meant I was able to take my 1965 HD Holden Standard Station Wagon to the HD-HR Holden Nationals which our club hosted here in Canberra last weekend.  We also managed to take our original two-tone green 1959 FC Holden Special Sedan to Grey Pride in Berrima NSW.  I bought the sedan in 1993 (at age 17) and used it as my daily driver while I looked for a modified FC wagon.  During the next four years, I went all over NSW and Victoria and ironically found my wagon in Canberra, just one suburb away.  It had a 179 red motor, HR front and rear end, plus seat-belts and child restraint bar already fitted. We drove the wagon for a year including many camping trips to go hiking and mountain biking.  In 1998, we left it with a fellow club member for 18 months while we drove a Kombi van from Alaska to Europe.  We returned in 1999 and travelled in our wagon some more before being rear-ended by a Suzuki Swift in 2000.  The panel repairs were done but within weeks of being back on the road, the diff, gearbox and engine all had major failures.  Sadly, the wagon was garaged unrepaired and during the next ten years, we did all of our travelling in a series of 4WDs.  Of course, we still had our sedan for club runs and FE-FC Holden Nationals (missing just the 1997 Nats as we were in Alaska).

After we got married in 2007, I bought a ute as I knew I only had a short window of opportunity before we'd have kids - I bought Ray Hammer's ute (QLD Club) which I'd loved since the 2005 Jindabyne Nats.  I'd given up trying to find a replacement FC wagon with late model Commodore running gear.  So last year, once a baby was on its way, fellow club members Colin Tierney (aka Colt) and Michael Pilger helped me drag the wagon out of retirement.  We replaced the 179 with a rebuilt 186 with mild cam, rebuilt the seized brakes, gearbox and replaced the diff.  When I first took it to the official ACT inspection station, they were happy with the result but wanted an engineers certificate for all the modifications.  I tried the usual 'but it was already ACT registered with these modifications when I bought it' but as it had been out of rego for so long and they had no record of me even owning it - it was treated as a new vehicle.  The engineer found a few fiddly things for me to fix including rounding the edges of the backing plates for the seat belt mounts.  I also had to swap the 205/60R13s tyres on my 13x7 inch rims for 205/65R13s as the rolling diameter was too small.  The wagon failed what I hoped would be its final registration inspection due to a seized lower control arm pivot nut - which had unfortunately been missed during several previous inspections.  A final days scrouge for a replacement lower control arm and then actually replacing it made for an exciting finish.  The cherry on top (or on the side I guess) was within 24 hours of getting the wagon officially back on the road - I was t-boned by a reversing p-plater in a car park.

The three FCs pictured below are now the only cars we own.  I'm proud to have an exclusively FC Holden family and I'm looking forward to taking our son home home from the hospital in our wagon (any day now).  The wagon will be our daily driver until we take it to the Nationals in Orange next year.  The sedan will remain on historic rego and I'll keep the ute as a workhorse for club outings until our FB Holden club trailer is restored.  In the meantime, if anyone knows of an FC panelvan for sale, please let me know as I'd really love to complete the set.  See you all at the Nats!

Cheers, Tim.

FE-HR Holden Owners Club ACT | http://www.oldgmh.org.au
Holden Heaven | Holden Enthusiasts Community | http://www.holden.org.au
Winnebago Baby | http://www.winnebagobaby.com
Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/holden.org.au
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:48:12 AM »

Tim,

Great to see that you have your wagon back on the road. There would be too many that could claim that they exclusively have an FE or FC as their sole means of transport. Grin

I hope that everything goes well for your wife and you with the upcoming birth of your child.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »

Tim,

It was great to see your wagon in the flesh over the weekend, and fortunately its only a flesh wound from the carpark incident. Your garage and driveway look great.

I see you started this post at 4:05am.  You must be getting ready for the baby disburbing your sleep - there's plenty of opportunity to get used to that AFTER the baby arrives.  Grab your sleep while you can!!!

Cheers
David

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »

Nice work Tim,

Exclusively FC.. I'm impressed Grin

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »

Congrats on the wagon Tim, nice line up you have there, look forward to seeing it at Orange
Gary
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »

Tim, congrats on  getting your wagon on the road. It has been a long haul. It is such a pleasure to see it running around. has it got a towbar? Then again it probably wouldn't be rated for a car treiler with EH racer on top.

Colin.

colt
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »

Great driveway pic Tim,
 good luck with the birth, our three boys were cooked a bit longer too. ;Dlol. all good in the end tho.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

Great story Tim, all the best to you both on the new (and not so new arrival). It was good to have a yarn at Grey Pride, I hope all goes well for Bec and the baby.

My wagon, Thelma, is having rather a long gestation too Tongue

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Bessie_3
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »

Hi Tim, What a great effort, good luck and we hope the birth goes well for all of of you. Doing your bit for he economy too I see, the property values must be soaring around your place. Cheesy
See you all in Orange, Derrick.
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »

Congratulations and well done Tim, getting the wagon on the road and waiting for the birth of your baby you and Bec must be feeling over the moon (excited and nervous) Hope all goes well for Bec, you and the baby.        Cheers Al

See ya
Al
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »

Good to see the wagon on the road....makes a cool trio.
Good luck over the next few weeks with the birth.
Hope all goes well.
Looking forward to meeting your Son.
Regards
Alex

Tailshaft_Tim
act-club

Holden Heaven

holdenorgau holdenorgau
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »

G'day Guys

Thank you all very much for your best wishes and support.

Australia's newest FC Holden fan, little Erik Edward Miller was born at 12:34:56am Monday 15 June 2009.  He was 12 days late and missed being born on our 12th anniversary by 35 minutes.  Bec's labour was just 5 hours (with only 20 minutes of pushing) and Erik was born 3.6kgs (or 7.9 pounds).  Proud Dad got to deliver the baby (well, catch him on his way out) and cut the cord.  We were home within 14 hours of arriving at the hospital.  Of course, the best part was taking him home in the wagon!

Cheers, Tim.

FE-HR Holden Owners Club ACT | http://www.oldgmh.org.au
Holden Heaven | Holden Enthusiasts Community | http://www.holden.org.au
Winnebago Baby | http://www.winnebagobaby.com
Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/holden.org.au
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »

Congratulations to both of you on Erics arrival.
Cheers,
Graham
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »

Congatulations Tim and Bec,

May he bring you many many years of joy, I am quite sure that he will become an able assistant for Dad when the car needs work Wink

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »

Congrats guys.

Only 18 years Tim and he'll steal the wagon from you  Grin
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Congratulations Tim and Bec on the birth of Erik and the "re-birth" of your wagon.  Smiley

NosFEratu
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »

Hi
  Congratulations to the both of you. Great that everything went well.
WAYNE
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

Congatulations Bec and Tim
Great to hear that all went well.
It's the experience of a lifetime, that can not be topped.
Regards
Alex

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »

Hi Tim, Bec and Erik,

Everything they said. Congratulations to all. Life will never be the same, but in a good way Grin

cheers
RET

PS: If you don't have it already, Kaz Cooke's "Up The Duff" is the closest thing to a decent workshop manual you can buy.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »

Hi Tim

I attended the HD HR Nats on the long weekend, and was admiring your wagon parked over near the admin tent.  In particular the concept of the baby bolts and the baby seats. Congrats on the new addition.  We had a little girl on the 1st of May which is why my wife did not attend this years Nationals and why I was sussing out your seat config.  Any way in the original post there was a pic of a FC sedan in the shed, Green is it possible to send me some pics of this car.  I also have a sedan Olinda Green with a Black Flash, but its in poor condition and would like an idea of the colour combo it is capeable of becoming again.

If I had known you were a member I would have found you out and introduced myself.  Anyhow  Congrats again and a word from someone who is suffering now from our 2 yr old.  get Sleep whenever you can. lol

Jason

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: