FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 05:34:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fuel tank for v6 fc  (Read 7431 times)
aussieute

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »

hi have a standard tank in fc sedan with a v6 engine what type of tank can i install without going into the wheel well and i think drop tanks arnt allowed in qld thanks john
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »

I would keep the original John as the old saying goes if it aint fu**ed don't fix it.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »

I have a larger  alloy tank in my Ute that hangs down the same as standard  but goes up where the spare originally went it's crappy carrying the spare in the back but when I had my blown engine in,, with out it I would have had to fuel up every couple of days .......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »

You need to modify the tank for the injected engine so you may as well change it for another one more suitable as others here on the forum have done.  If you are running a V6 engine I'm guessing that the wheels you are running wont fit in the wheel well anyway as a spare. I would also assume you would not be running early Holden stud pattern, so keeping a stock wheel in the boot would be a waste of time.

Ken
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

John,
There seems to be two common tanks to put in the Fc sedan. One is the VN tank the other is the VQ statesman tank. The VN tank is about 60 litres, the VQ is about 90 litres from memory.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
aussieute

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:44:03 PM »

thank you for all your help something i will have to think about,the tank in it has been modified am running 6x14 hktg wheels,so i will do some home work with those 2 tanks thanks again john
gwuthie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »

If I can tag a question onto this topic.
Is there any real reason why the original fuel tank can't stay.?
I would assume that the new fuel pump pick up would have to be grafted on and maybe a little swirl pot added inside to be ideal. is that it?
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »

Problem with the old tank basically is the size... I have a 75 litre tank in the van and get around 550 - 600km's per load around town from 60 litres that I use from it. so would be around 320 - 350 km's around town.

For the ute that I am doing I have put in a VN commodore tank but extended it to stay under the floor height and get around 115 litres.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
aussieute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »

yer as fevanv6 said the only reason was the size,if i drive to nats i dont want to keep filling up a lot,and   i think it has a small leak fuel smell thru car,  it looks like coming from the top it is a bit moist,so i will see which way i will go either fix and put up with filling up or go bigger see what the treasurer will say 
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »

John,

I am going to take my tank to a welding shop on the weekend so will take some before and after shots for you. I have cut out the retainer ring from the plastic VT commodore tank and had an insert made for the seal. So now all that is to be done is the tank welded up again.
When I went to the Nationals in Jindabyne I was getting around 800km's out of 60-65litres from my 75litre tank.  Grin Grin

Hope this helps you a little.

There are photos of an installation into a sedan here as well.
Have a look at smithy's car... this may help you.

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13185.msg79029.html#msg79029

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »

If I can tag a question onto this topic.
Is there any real reason why the original fuel tank can't stay.?
I would assume that the new fuel pump pick up would have to be grafted on and maybe a little swirl pot added inside to be ideal. is that it?

Apart from the size issue, most EFI setups have a fuel pump mounted in the tank so that positive pressure is maintained throughout the fuel line at all times. I suppose it would be possible to fit one in there, but this again would reduce the capacity of the tank. The other is the return lines need to be run back to the tank as well as the line for the carbon cannister. Again no major issue, but when you add up the small capacity, fit a submerged fuel pump, plumb in the return lines etc, it is quite often far more beneficial to fit a larger capacity tank, that has the all the things previously described, than to play around with the old tank.

The way I see it, if you are going to modify the car, and then drive it to enjoy it, why would you potentially build in a problem ie a short range fuel tank.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
aussieute

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

a big thank you to all for you help i will be going with the bigger tank.  john
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »

John,
There seems to be two common tanks to put in the Fc sedan. One is the VN tank the other is the VQ statesman tank. The VN tank is about 60 litres, the VQ is about 90 litres from memory.
Why? Is this as apposed to vs or vt,r,x,e...

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »

The VT onwards are the polyurethane tanks so no good for the swap.

I think the sizes differ slightly with each model.

Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
aussieute

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »

thanks for all your help i have almost certain to go with a drop tank as i can then have the flat floor as i will have to mod the wheel well to put my 14s in the standard spot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: