FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:34:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 365 weeks...  (Read 816199 times)
Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »

Thats a nice press Grin

Is that yours Huh

Cheers
John

Better in Green
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

Nope, not mine...

Can bend 20mm high tensile steel... its mainly used for making truck trailers.

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »

Jas,

Just curious.. If you're using coil overs, then why use the commo bottom trailing arms?  was this just to keep the engineer happy?

fantastic work, glad you got rid of the fuel filler.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2009, 05:45:42 PM »

Hey Ed,

No the bottom trailing arms evolved that way as I am going to use them as the base for the coil overs... As in make a bracket where the old spring was located.

The engineer was part of the process and was his idea... I just ran with the idea and am doing it the way he suggested to get it passed easier.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »

Hey Jase, now that you have got rid of the fuel filler i have an idea that i have used on my ute. Why not put it in behind the tail light. I hinged the tail light and put the Gas filler in behind it. Now i know that it is easier to fit a gas filler but i am sure a man of your ability  could come up with something. If i get a chance i will take a photo and put it up.
                                                Cheers Scott
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »

So got a few more days in yesterday and today...

First i had to give the coil over shocks some clearance so to stop fouling on the floor.

Then decided to have a look at the exhaust system... Needed a little clearance as well..

But wasn't satisfied there and decided to get a a little radical, as I have no where to exit the exhaust out of the back of the car... Did this

Needed a bit of room to make it work.

Then a present arrived... Pedro, this may help your problem... Its a modified VN tank.

The fuel filler neck is in the wrong spot so had to take it back, oh and Scotty i love your idea, but I have done this instead...

It will be welded in instead of on a hinge and painted the same as the car so should not stand out too much...

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »

Well another couple of days at it and was pretty annoyed at what i found towards the en of yesterday...

Started by a couple of patches..

Then started to find crap like this in the car, filled with fibreglass and bog!!! Very pissed as the guy who sold it to me has lied!

So the sills have been welded over the old ones, creating 2 joins that were rusting... end result, sills gone

Couple more Gems!

I will step down from my box now vented..

JB.

Phone +64 223509263
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »

It's amazing what some butchers think is an acceptable technique for fixing rust, I picked my wagon over the other one i had because it seemed so straight and rust free whereas the other one had obvious rust, once i got it sandblasted it turned out to be the worst one of the two as the guy had done similar patches to yours Angry.
                   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »

Well back to the good stuff...

Make some brackets for the bump stops..

Then needed some more clearance for the bottom trailing arm as they fouled the chassis rails.

Then for the 2 compartments in the back... 1 is for the sub woofer and the other is for the battery, and relay boxes.

Next getting it home, I have been evicted from the shed as the owner needs the room, so have to assemble it to bring it all home on a trailer. This will be fun.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
stubbie65

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »

yeah jas it piss,s you off with the rust and the fact it was hidden. like me its a good thing you come across it
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

You've been a busy boy again Jason. 

Definitely not nice to find surprises like that.  I must admit, structurally our van is not too bad but we're not game to touch the panels yet - the panel and paint might not be the best to look at but we're certainly not ready to find a heap of underlying surprises yet. 

I'm sure you'll be able to continue the progress once it's home - especially if your supervisor is there!  Wink Cheesy

Kathi

NosFEratu
GOA350
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »

I don't understand why you need a subwoofer in the back, when you sit in the front separate to the subwoofer when you listen to the stereo.
 It still baffles me why big kickass stereos are essential in cars when they cant be used to there potential.(Totally Bemused) Huh Huh
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »

It still baffles me why big kickass stereos are essential in cars when they cant be used to there potential.(Totally Bemused) Huh Huh
I agree, must be the same reason some people put methanol guzzling blown big blocks in "street registered" cars.
A normal subwoofer makes the music that much better though, I have a Jaycar 8' subwoofer tucked in behind the rear seat of my dual cab ute and the difference is incredible. Even the 10" sub in the boot of my FE makes a difference.

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »

Hey Scotty, it seem s my descriptions are coming across the wrong way LOL... What I am doing is putting the subwoofer in behind the passenger rear seat, its going to be a 10" woofer with the box hidden below the floor line in the back or the ute tray.

I am not about the competition noise that some go for but for clarity of sound, and yes i do like the bass component.

At this stage i am planning on using a rockford fosgate "punch" subwoofer, hooked up to a kenwood double din stereo with mp3 input and navigation system all in one that will also be able to accept the bluetooth for the phone. The head unit is just a flat panel and will be placed where the chrome speaker grill sits on a billet aluminium piece mad the same shape at the speaker grill.  For the mid range speakers I am planning on getting some Focal's 2 way or possibly 3 way system, but not sure where to place them in the cabin yet.

The ute is going to become my everyday driver as I am trying to sell the van, so i want it to be as good as I can make it to last for the next 10+ years.

So mate hopefully I have cleared up your bemusement...  Grin Grin and i hope you are not too disappointed in me.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
GOA350
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »

I'm never disappointed in you Jason  Wink Wink. It all sounds just fine to me and sounds like you've done your research. When i've built my cars the stereo has never been planned, it's always been about the engineering and building it right once. A stereo could always be put in later. Oh how times have changed  Grin Grin
GOA350
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

Let me just congratulate you in your efforts so far, you have taken building modified holdens to a new level and anyone considering doing something similar should look at this before spending any money and make a decision whether they have 1, got enough money and time and skill, and 2, whether they have the balls to have a go at building something correctly to todays standards.
  Your build makes my FE look obsolete and dated, which is fine because thats how we did it in those days (remember i started mine in 1989.).
  Let this build be a lesson to us all that the standards are high and the price is high but the satisfaction is immense. If you get the opportunity to buy a car like this in the future be prepared to have a substantial price tag attatched because, as Jason is showing us, these things aren't cheap to build.
  Good luck Jason and any comments i make will be purely constructive if possible, sometimes tongue in cheek  Wink, but never to offend.
                                      Cheers Scott
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »

Jas,

Use splits for your front so you can get your sound stage spot on.. you will also get much better clarity than 2 or 3 ways, your mids will also be able to drive much harder.

Mould the tweeters into your A pillars replacing the metal mould with a fibreglass one.. would be sweet and discreet.

keep your mids down low, and stealth them behind some sheer material matching your trim, or build them out on your kick panels... build outs don't need to be gaudy.

loving the build.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »

Lucky some of us know what you're talking about Ed  Grin...(I used to install car audio for about 10 years,shit of a job) Ed's advice should be followed word for word as he is spot on. Wink Jason,I feel your pain regards the rust.The difference for me was that it was obvious in ya face rust and was even more obvious when it came back from the sand blaster.I'm sure that although it's a set back you will have no trouble cleaning it up and then it will become just a memory.This ute is becoming a work of art,keep up the good work.Cheers Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »

keep your mids down low

I nevered bothered to check it myself, but there is supposed to be plenty of room between the metal in the kick panel area and the front guard. A welded up headlight bucket might make for a good speaker enclosure/recess.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »

jason just finished my stereo in my sedan. Put 6 + 9 on rear shelf (soundstream) split type with cross overs. Also 6.5 (soundstream)  splits in front doors with cross overs. They are better than when I visited you. Will now have to see how many DB I produce. Keep up the great work.

Townsville North Queensland
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: