FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:20:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 60   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 365 weeks...  (Read 816035 times)
FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 10, 2011, 07:02:39 PM »

JB
If you want a heavy duty and safe connection for jump starting you can't go past an Anderson Plug, they are safe and neat, handle high amps and you can get them with an incorporated safety cover.  You will need 2 one for the car and one for your jumper leads which you can make out of the same wire you use for the car.
Hope this helps, Cheers Wayne
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »

Just run a larger cable back to the boot. I used 25 sq mm welding cable for mine as it's plenty large enough and also very flexible.

I'll second that, JB. Does the job well.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »

Just run a larger cable back to the boot. I used 25 sq mm welding cable
Hmmm,interesting.....You don't need to run an extra cable to the boot.If you use a large (00 size,approximately 75mm2 cable) to your starter motor from the battery in the boot then you only have to run a 16mm2 (overkill) cable to that same terminal from your alternator  Huh .I have done this on my Commodore which has battery in the boot,body as the earth and agree to make sure you clean the area of steel to bare where the earth attaches.No point in having two cables doing the same job....Also no need for fuses/circuit beakers as the cable will only be about three feet long.There were no fuses on the charge cables on original later model cars so why complicate it.Different story if the cable goes to the back.Start cables can't be protected unless you can find a 600amp fuse somewhere.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »

Couple of little things tidied up today. The belt for the alternator fitted first time, I had plenty of play in this one though to get it right, could have gone down to the next belt which was 25mm shorter but thought that a better wrap around the pulley was better.

Tried to get the sump off today but it fouls on the front end, so the engine will have to come out to do the sump and the oil pick up... Bugger.

Phone +64 223509263
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »

JB,

That is a tight fit, you did well to get all that in there.
What power steer setup are you going to use?

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »

It was a bit more luck than good management Keith to get all of it in there. I put the motor so far back because I wanted to use the thermo fans out of the Commodore like i did in the van. Because of that decision and only because of that I was able to fit the air cond in the spot that it is in. Otherwise I don't know where it was going to go.

The power steer set up is a VS power steering rack on the V6 conversions front end and obviously the VT steering column, I just have to get an engineer to make the piece that connects the 2 now, and then get the hoses made, but not sure where to get them done yet, I haven't even thought about it.

I think the cruise control unit will need to get mounted next so that I can then start the wiring process again... YUK. But it has to be done.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »

I think the cruise control unit will need to get mounted next so that I can then start the wiring process again... YUK. But it has to be done.

Cheers
JB

I so hate wiring... Good luck with it

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

Little bit more done today, looks neat on one side but on the other... well.

Starting to fill up in here...

Time to pose a few more questions...

Are pod filters illegal in QLD for rego?

Is the original air sensor contained in the air box essential when now I am looking at a pod filter?

I also have to work out the best way to get the piping for the aircond and the battery cables through the firewall...

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »

If its like NSW you only need a cover over the pod filter sold at supercheap ect.
In saying that i have never been pinged for not having one at all.

You will need the map sensor  unless you get a mapless tune done.

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »

Just having a look at the manuals, I am planning on keeping the Mass Air flow sensor, and the other sensor that I was trying to find out about ended up being a Intake Air Temperature sensor. I think that I will be able to incorporate this in the system somewhere.

Hopefully a cover is all that I will need. When the van was registered nothing was said about the bare pod under the bonnet.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
GM

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

Hey Jason, the van was knocked for the filter for a blue slip, but o.k. for a pink slip. How does that work?

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »

What's the difference between the blue and a pink slip? I have never registered a car in NSW. In Vic and QLD once registered then that was it for Road Worthy unless pulled over by the police for an inspection, or defect..

Phone +64 223509263
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »

What's the difference between the blue and a pink slip? I have never registered a car in NSW. In Vic and QLD once registered then that was it for Road Worthy unless pulled over by the police for an inspection, or defect..

I was told to remove a pod filter by an engineer and fit the factory air box Huh Huh ...Blue slip is for an unregistered car cost $56....pink slip $32 ....FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »

Why are pod filters so evil  Huh

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »

Why are pod filters so evil  Huh
I reckon it just some thing that easy for them to notice that has been modified Huh Huh Huh bit like the cops can defect a modern car that has the exhaust changed from standard if they care to obey every letter of the law  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ....FC427.....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:52:54 PM by stinky » Logged

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »

Cleaned up the wires behind the firewall for the engine management.

Jaycar had the cable 0 Guage, which after looking at it would be approx 45mm sq, and still flexible. The only thing that they didn't have was the correct crimp ends that I needed for the starter... Maybe Bursons for these.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:15:05 AM by fevanv6 » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »

Try an Electrical Wholesaler for the lugs.

John

Better in Green
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »

If the cable is running through the cabin  it's suppose to be double insulated .....easy enough to do with convoluted tubing .......FC427.....

Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »

Wink

Jason,

Try Battery World for the crimp ends. They will have them and will most likely crimp them for you. They did a couple of ends for my dual battery set up in the Hilux.

Cheers Rusty.
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »

Another small step over the last few days, tidied up a bit of wiring harness to look at the pod filter. Made a small bracket for the map sensor and welded it to the alternator bracket. Managed to get the map sensor and the temperature sensor fitted inline also.

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 60   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: