FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:15:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 365 weeks...  (Read 821271 times)
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I am just being a sook. When I did the van it took me about 60 hours work on the wiring... I knew before I started that it would take me about a 100 hours to do this time. Just been 2 months when I can get to it and I am looking forward to getting onto something else.

Wiring harness for me is for a number of reasons, and initially started with the van when I did it so I didn't have to stuff with the speedo conversion. Also when I did the van I was told that air cond and ABS was impossible to do, so not knowing any different I believed them. This time I know better and am doing it my way, and when finished I don't think that there will be many like it... ie, ABS, Air bag, seat pre tensioners, and climate control when I finish it. The rest has been done, central lock, power windows, thermos etc.

I am not sure about the VS harness as i have only ever used the Vt's in both of my conversions... the ute is the second car I have ever done.

I think I have only about 20 hours to go and it should be close to being finished, then back on the welder  Grin Grin

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »

Good luck mate. Not long now then when you say it like that. Cheesy

Truly amazing if you ask me.

Regards

Wayne
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

Good luck with it JB

If it ever leaks smoke, (and I sincerely hope that it doesn't) here is a replacement jar of smoke Grin Grin

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »

NOS that stuff is hard to get, but as our cars get older the replicated stuff gets more common  Tongue Grin Grin

Phone +64 223509263
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »

I smoked my harness as the .22 shells didnt cut it as fuses that is the worst smell i have ever smelt bloody horrid.

GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »

Its more fun smoking tyres than harnesses, Hey JB
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »

Keep at it JB. I'm finding that every time I think the wiring is finished I discover something else that needs to be wired up Huh  I THINK I only have the fuel pump and sender to go but I guess time will tell. Cheers, Jack
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »

AHHHH MR LUCAS the prince of darkness and the bottle of not so rare lucas smoke Cheesy

FE and FC"S rule.
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »

Took the idea from the 5th wheel video to turn the ute around. Need to get better access to this side of the car and the front to get some more things done.

Hopefully get some progress on the sump next week... Wiring not finished but I have had enough of it for the moment.

Phone +64 223509263
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »

Finally managed to do something today on the ute... Work keeps getting in the way of progress  Sad

Need to put the power steer pump, air conditioning compressor and the alternator on and then can make the sump clear whatever is in the way.

Not going to be an easy job, but nothing is at this stage. The alternator hits just about everything, not sure what to do yet. I need to get a smaller A/C unit to fit in the space . But did manage to get the power steering pump in place. Just some tidying up to make it look like it belongs.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »

Wow your a real inspiration and the ute looks so cool from the side, particularly due to the colour, it suits the ute so well.

Just wondering if you have spoken to your engineer lately about the engine you have chosen and whether it is still ok with him to go up to that capacity as I am seeking various opinions on the new rules etc. Some say this and some say that it seems. If you know the engineer well, can you ple revisit it if its not already engineered and let me know what yours says. Thanks and well done. It does suck how life gets in the way of having time for our builds  Sad

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »

Deano,

I spoke to the Victorian engineer and also to my engineer in QLD. Basically because I had started the project with an engineer engaged the Victorian one would allow me about 12 months to finish. That said, he would have had to do a torsion test which was $1500 plus the engineering side for another $1500. He suggested I stay with my previous engineer, which will be down here for the Targa Tasmania and will look at the car when he returns. When the car is completed I will truck it to QLD, roadworthy and register, then drive it home... Can't wait!!!!

JB

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »

Hey JB,

Nice to see progress... I noticed I have the same toolbox as you.

what runs off the ribbed belt, and what runs off the V belt?

Have you thought about solid mounting your alternator and using an idler pulley for belt tension? 

I also found a smaller JE Camira alternator was easier to fit up, and still provides 60A.

should be nice with PS and AC.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »

Thanks mate for the info. Yeah I spoke to a third engineer in Victoria and he said that I am limited to the new capacity, so there goes any hope of turboing an rb30 which i already have. Just misses out by 100cc or so and he said there is no leeway at all.  So now I have settled for something which is slightly cooler, a lexus quad cam v8. Should be cool.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 23, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »

Hey Ed,

The V belt is for the power steering, and the 2 serpentine belts are for the alternator and A/C.

Just been down to see Brad from Corio Auto Parts and he runs a VN/VP alternator that fits underneath the throttle body, just have to take a little out of the head to make it fit, so that sounds like the go, and then I get to keep the 80amp alternator as well.

With the Air cond, looks like I will just have to make a bracket to mount it where I want it to go and make the adjustable idler above its current position.

Dean,

If you are serious about your rb30 then go the Queensland way... once you have it regoed in QLD then you just have to transfer paperwork over.

Not sure how long this loop hole will last though.

Cheers
JB.

Phone +64 223509263
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 24, 2011, 01:46:40 PM »

Another part another job done...  Thanks Brad, I have to find out what you drink!

Am pretty happy with the result, will look better when its all the same colour. Now I have a place to take the wiring to.

Managed to turn the piece I cut out around and fill a hole as well. Just ran out of time to weld it back in.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 24, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »

Nice work JB.It is all coming together. Wink

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »

I have just had a bit of a change of mind and this is cos of a local opportunity that came up. I know of a dune buggy with Hilux LSD, v6 buick with its 5 speed box close by. The Hilux LSD diff has same size track at an fe and if I got the good running buick v6 with it, there is plenty u can do to them after rego. id just get it engineered with the v6 and hopefully nobody will notice a supercharger later on  Roll Eyes

that way I get a dune buggy for the kids (not me or my mates of course) and get all the running gear, including high pressure external fuel pump etc at the same price as they would normally cost if i got it all together. Then I can put the rb30 in the buggy with its 5 speed box, so not wasting anything. The guy is going to give me some vn gear like coolings systems etc if i go ahead.

Cool thing is that we can fang around in the buggy until i am ready for the transplant which wont be for a while anywho.

Deano

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »

Sounds like a plan Deano.

I wish mine was as close as yours though Jamie, I keep thinking as I am putting stuff together that I have to pull all of this apart again..  Undecided Undecided

But in saying that there is still lots more fun to be had... Can't wait to hear it fire up in the ute for the first time, it will be a very sweet moment indeed.

Phone +64 223509263
tuffute

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

ahh purple udl (vodka & passionfruit) real ladies drink
thanks jas
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: