FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:13:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Sedan 2008 Barn Find - FNQ  (Read 75959 times)
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »

Here are the pictures as per pedros reply earlier.  Seems lots of clearance for things to be hidden under the guard like the charcoal canister (see pedros earlier threads).

As suggested the only clearance problem is the front of the tyre in the front of the front guard wheel arch.
(Note to self - To Many Fronts in that last sentence)
Sitting in the shed as it is, it is only a problem at full lock.
(Note to self - it is followed by it is, is just bad grammer)
(Note to self - Done it again with is,is)

Hopefully with low profile tyres this will rectify this problem without any real further hassles.
Not going to be to big a deal as I dont see myself using anything larger than 15" rims at this point.

I also stated earlier that I thought the exposed tyre on each side was quite minimal outside the original FC guards.
Well I was half right.  On the Drivers side the tyre sits out a mere 8mm....................

...............  but on the passenger side a total of 24 mm is expose maening 32mm total.  For those taking off their socks to work it out thats an average of 16mm per side if I move the diff back to the right by 8mm.

As I mentioned earlier the Diff is only sitting there with the lower control arm brackets as a temperary solution so again something else to tackle down the track.

Jase

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:25 AM »

Hi,

With the Torana front end there is alot of useful info on the FB/EK site.

The fitup is explained very well by Gaz (V8EK4us) so thanks to him for this reference.

Based on his write up it looks achievable.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7396&start=0

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
austrucker

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »

why don't you try a diff from a vl ? it's a bit shorter and still a borg warner, same wheels will fit and may not have to flare anything
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

why don't you try a diff from a vl

The Vl diff will still be too wide that's what I used and I had to cut 69mm out of it, I did what I had heard other people had done and used two short axles, unfortunately that meant the diff centre was slightly out of line with the gearbox and I won't know if it's going to be succesfull until I drive it.
                  Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »

Nissan pintara and skyline are pretty close width wise but you have to change stud pattern and there hand brake set up is shithouse.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »

a year on?

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »

So its been a while, in fact to long, but since coming back from the HD HR Nationals in June and a recent trip to Bendigo All Holden Day, Enthusiasm has crept back in and I've peeled the covers off the old girl and want to get back into it again.  Ive manufactured a rotisserie for the old girl to make it easy to work on and bring it up to a workable height.

Last night I got the car off the stands and onto the rotisserie but its not an easy to spin as I would like.  In fact every Demo Ive seen shows a one hand spin no dramas.  Im swinging off this thing like a man possesed and can only get it turned 90 degrees.

As from the photos you can see I have removed the front end leaving the firewall as the front of the car to use as a mounting point.  The back mounting arms are bolted to the rear bumper bar locating bolts.

There is plenty of rotating power in the bearings and housings.  I believe I need to find the centre of gravity for the car to allow it to spin and sit on the rotisserie without and drama.  To top heavy and it will want to sit upside down, but i seem to have the opposite problem.

What i'm hoping is someone on here has played with this problem before and can give me some sort of starting point or approx heights each end to work from.  The photos show there is plenty of adjustment in height to allow for me to try and find the cars Centre point of Gravity.

Look forward to more updates while the passion is still flowing through the veins.  Just need some more warmer weather to really get the project coming along again.

** Please look past all the clutter in the background. ;P

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »

chop 200mm out of your arms off the body ans see how you go.

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »

Yup, centre of gravity is roughly the Fuel cap height... I made the exact same rooky mistake with the ute.
Good luck
JB

Phone +64 223509263
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

The centre of gravity all depends on what is still left on the car and I see the diff is still in which makes a big difference.Here is some pics of mine which spins effortlessly.Looking at yours it seems you are pretty close but I think the diff is the difference.

Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »

Jase, did you get the shots of mine? similar to Jamies, I also do'nt have trouble turning it through 360 deg.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »

No not yet Jim.  All trial and error.  Absolute pain in @r$e adjusting it trying to get it right.  Need to invest in a ram to mount on the frames so it makes adjusting it easier.  Thanks for all the photos guys.  Im sure it will make it all easier once I study them more closely.  If all else fails I will take out the diff for now.

Jase

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »

Sorry.  brain fade Jim.  Yes I did get them.  Found an old set of bonnet hinges, but then could not bring myself to cut them up so made some adaptor plates instead. Its all trial and error, and im a bit impatient and just want to see the thing spin freely.  Just need to step back, deep breathe and easy as she goes.  It will happen.

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »

Took the diff out as suggested last Friday night.  Thanks guys

Its amazing the difference it makes with the diff out.  She spins quite freely now. Not perfect yet but at least I can spin it.

Last weekend was spent basically cleaning up the shed and moving stuff around including the car so now im not tripping over stuff when i work on her.

I did find the motor and gearbox was in the way no matter where i put it so this week after work I have knocked p a frame for the combo so it is more easily moved.  Next priority get that floor welded into place and start making bits to fill in the gaps between.

Just need a weekend without kids birthday parties and the like to interrupt my enthusiasm, plus Grand Final, Moto GP, Bathurst, Gold Coast V8's.  Hows a bloke supposed to get anything done.

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

Had an arrival in the mail today.

These books came highly recommended by JB, even though it was a couple of years ago when we both resided in Cairns. 

Have not had a chance to read them from cover to cover yet, but look forward to doing so and applying any applicable principles to my own build.

Ordered through the buildbookusa website, and arrived here in Australia to my door with 11 days.

Have also removed the floor again from the car for ease of access to rust repairs in the front of the side seals.  Have cut a sample of the problem piece out and started to fabricate a replacement piece from 2mm sheet.   LH side is worse than the drivers side so I'll attack the passenger side first.

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 05:10:07 AM »

If only you could bottle and sell enthusiasm. (ill have 2 thanks)

It only takes another build or someones help to get you back into the rythym.
I have 3 kids 5 months 3 and 10 so i know what your up against.
Having my car somewhere away from work and home helps me as no one distracts me.

Keep on going car is looking great.. Grin

Pete

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 06:01:00 AM »

Someone borrowed them from me and didn't return them... Grrrr So I don't have them anymore. That Sick Fish book is by far the best book and was my best inspiration for the way I did my ute.

JB

Phone +64 223509263
hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »

JB I'll send you a PM

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »

Not an overly productive weekend.  Kart state titles in town this weekend so I spent most of it out there pit crewing seeing as I was not racing.  Did manage to score myself a little present for the Send rebuild though.

The engine, a 304 V8, instead of the V6 is solely the fault of NES232 for his decision to upgrade.  It got cogs turning in my head, and its the same amount of engineering to get it complianced to the decision to purchase was made, one was sourced and Wolah.  Its now in my shed. 

Spent Saturday morning removing it from the donar car along with a few other goodies to help it run, like the ignition coil, radiator and so on.  It is coupled with the M30 auto trans but until I get some rust repairs completed and the floor of the cabin re installed it wont be going much further at this stage.  I've started the job of drilling out the spot welds on the lower sills so I can remove and then replace them.

The other piece of good news I found out of the weekend, the red 186 i've had sitting at a mates house in his shed for nigh on 8 years now is actually a 186S from the HK/T/G series.  Not a made score for $50 I paid for it at the time.

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2012, 11:49:23 PM »

Looks good to go Jase

Good to see NES has some influence over others Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Look forward to the build,

Cheers

Craig D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up