FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spigot Bushing  (Read 1500 times)
mc54

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »

Hi all

I have just tried to install a new spigot bushing. It was soaked in oil for a couple of days and then put in the freezer for a couple more. I got the bushing in but
the edges broke off, in some places up to 5mm deep. I also could not get the pilot shaft I had made up into the bushing again. I have now removed the new bushing
using the method of filling the hole with grease and using the pilot shaft. The whole back of the bushing broke off.

How much smaller does the hole get when the bushing is installed into the crank. Is it possible I was given the incorrect bushing, maybe one from a red motor?

I could use the old one as there is not much wear on it but it looks like it might have been spinning.

Regards
Mike
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »

The spigot bushing is only a couple of thousands of an inch interference fit, if it is any tighter than this the bush will break up when you try and compress the bush. I would assume that you have been given an incorrect bush. The bush when fitted should only compress a few thousands of an inch. If the pilot shaft has been made the same diameter as an input shaft then this must still slide freely, so that in operation, when the clutch is disengaged the input shaft can spin freely on the spigot bearing.

I would take the old one and try to get a new bush the same. I would not use the old bush again, particularly if there has been any indication that the bush has been spinning in the back of the crank.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »

Thanks for that

I am going to get a another bushing tomorrow.

Regards

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: